Aug 29, 2011, 12:04 PM EST
Michael Vitez of the Philly Inquirer has a fun story today about the never-ending battle in baseball between those who like to wear high socks — the avatars of goodness and truth — and those who don’t — evil incarnate.
OK, that was a bit of editorializing on my part. Apologies. I’m sure there are some non-evil people out there who like the big baggy pants hanging down below the shoes look. I just haven’t met them yet.
And to be honest, I do think that there is a danger that the big high-socks look has become a too self-consciously retro choice by now. No, it’s not like a ton of guys really rock it, but many who do seem to be doing it less because it’s cool and more because it’s perceived to be cool. If that makes any sense.
Know what you don’t see much of anymore? The intermediate look. Anyone doing that? With the stirrups? That’s probably the coolest look of them all. At least until too many start to do it and it becomes lame.
Man, hipster fashion politics are difficult.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)