Jamie Moyer to rehab down at Clearwater

Aug 29, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

Jamie Moyer throwing

I should probably go back and check the article and see if it said “rehab” or if it said “retire.” But either way, Todd Zolecki reports that Jamie Moyer is going to be down at the Phillies’ facility in Clearwater doing something.

OK, I just checked. It’s rehab. He’ll be working out and pitching there even though he’s not under contract or anything. I guess the Phillies trust him not mess the place up.

And I’m not really being too snarky about Moyer’s age here. He turns 50 in a little over a year. You can join the AARP when you’re 50. Younger if your spouse is a member.

1. easports82 - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM

What are the odds on him being able to throw his age?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Good question. I have no idea. I mean, he was only throwing around 82 before the injury. For me, I am wondering if he will have the same movement on the pitches.

• kellyb9 - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I don’t mean to be funny, but 82 was his fastball. If we’re talking off speed stuff, I think he has a legitimate shot.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Yeah, that is what I mean….80-82 on the fastball. I was trying to say, perhaps not very clearly, is what movement he has on the off speed pitches.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I have a hard time believing that Moyer will pitch in MLB again. That being said, I hope he proves me wrong and I will be pulling for him. Good guy. I always liked when the showed him in the dugout talking pitching with the young guys.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I think the Phillies should bring him back. Be it as a pitcher (in the off chance he can find a way), or in some made up position (Senior adviser to the pitching coach sound good?)

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I love the fact that the Phills are open to letting him train with their staff. Even if it’s to humor him… I just don’t see how he’ll be able pitch after missing this much time. Healthy young men can’t do it, more often than not.

4. scafeets - Aug 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I’d start him before I gave AJ Burnett another chance. If the Phils pass, maybe he can make the Yanks 40-man roster.

5. professor59 - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I wonder if he’s still Phils property. Maybe we can auction him off for a draft choice or Derek Jeter or something.

6. illcomm - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Welcome back Moyer. He is a great clubhouse guy to.have around. and the chances of him pitching at fifty are the same about.when he pitched at 48. My guess is that be will be a bit better at 50 then he was at 48.

7. cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM

The quintessential Crafty Lefty. Man I’m glad to still see this guy’s name in baseball. I hope he can do it; get his arm back in shape and make a squad for next season. He goes to show all those power arms out there that you don’t need over powering fastballs to be an MLB pitcher. Change speeds, make your pitches move, do the unexpected, field your position and you’ll win more than you lose as a pitcher. You don’t need triple digits on your fast ball.

That being said, Moyer’s pitch speed should only be clocked and reported in kilometers per hour out of respect for the man’s age. As such his fastball is a hefty 132 . . . km/h. Tattoo that on your forearm Mr. Moyer!

8. dlevalley - Aug 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I remember seeing him pitch a game his last full year as a Mariner. It was against Texas, and he went 8 innings and only gave up one run, and only gave up a few hits (BR says 4, I trust them more than my memory).

He threw about three pitches all day that were over 80. Most of his pitches were in the 70s, with some in the 60s and a few in the 50s. There wasn’t a hard-hit ball all day.

I remember being most amazed at how he looked: Moyer appeared, by all measures, to be barely trying. I would have bet all my money that day that he could have gone 40 innings. He might have given up a few more hits, maybe a few more runs, but there wasn’t a person on the Texas roster that was capable of hitting the ball hard off him, no matter how many chances they got.

(Of course, BR also tells me that Gary Mathews Jr. hit a HR off Moyer. I’m sure it was a really weak homer.)

9. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Any Phillies fans out there tonight?

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM

getting to it a little late, but what’s your take on pulling Hamels after 6 innings and only 76 pitches?

I was displeased at first, but then I remembered he is just coming back from the dead arm, and that the Phillies have 33 games in 31 days. With the bullpen well rested, I think it is a good call

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, good call in my opinion. First game back and all. I thought they might let him go another inning with the low pitch count and all, but best to err on the side of caution. He looked good. Only gave up one true hit. Was throwing around 91, 92 at spots.

• FC - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I’m around. Nice HR by Shane. 6 Outs to go. With the way the offense has performed I get the impression there may not be more runs. Taking out Hamels is OK I guess since he hasn’t pitched in forever though I’m sure they were motivated more by having a guy in scoring position to take advantage of it. Charlie did it earlier in the year with Oswalt.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM

It looked like he was coming out before that. Charlie and Dubee were shaking his hand and slapping his ass after the bottom of the 6th.

10. firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Why did Martinez just bunt the ball towards first?! The guy playing third is playing it for the first time since little league, and you don’t try to take advantage of that?

• FC - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM

You are assuming Martinez knows how to bunt. he put the bat to two high fastballs that were obviously not strikes. He doesn’t have a clue. It would have been far better to use Oswalt as a pinch hitter.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I have often thought that, if you are trotting a guy out there to bunt, you should use whoever is best at bunting. Even if it is a pitcher. Heck, that is what pitchers work on most (except Lee, he just works on HR’s).

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Its the power of prayer, my friend, & no one is praying harder than Yonder that the ball is bunted yonder and not hither.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Cur, joining the chat….I feel privileged. I don’t think he has had a play all night.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Cur- I think you are correct. And he must be praying really really hard cause (you are correct, DR.) the closest ball to him all night was a line drive to the SS

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:27 PM

“I don’t think he has had a play all night” : I bet he praying like a mo-fo that this remains the case.

Colbert pitched ok tonight, didn’t he? I thought the off time would really hurt him like when Weaver came of his suspension & got knocked around. I was really not expecting much from young Colbert but I sure was hoping he could deliver. Looks like he remains who I thought he was.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Hamels looked good. He looked pretty much exactly like he did before his shoulder ailment. We will see how he pitches next start. Another couple good starts will help ease any lingering anxiety from the Phils Phaithful.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM

He managed to go the entire game without a chance to prove he can play third (or, probly more accurately, a chance to prove he can’t). I guess I should start going to church again

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:00 PM

doc: gotta save some of Colbert for the playoffs. I don’t want these guys getting bumped first matchup. I very much fear this will come down to either the Yankees or the BoSox vs the NL champ. I really, REALLY, REALLY want the NL champ to be the Phills. Mind you, if its the Rangers vs. the Phills I’m going with Nolan Ryan’s boys. I do not, however see this as likely as the Sox will pwn the Rangers if they meet. And, when they go on to face the NL champs, I want to be rooting like a mo-fo for doc and the rest of the terror squad (hell, even Fat-Joe).

firedude; Yonder a lucky fella. Seems like all season long Cholly been saying he needs a right hand bat. Lucky for Yonder Cholly never did get his prayers answered (Hunter Pence notwithstanding since he’s “underrated”). If its a matter of comparative religions than we should all bow down to Yonder’s graven images and burn Cholly’s.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM

He is a terrible bunter. He had no chance of getting those bunts down…he was bunting at fastballs at his head.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I see that I am way late with my comment as FC said the exact same thing.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:26 PM

It’s OK. happens to the best of us

11. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I bring in Madson here to face Votto. Stutes can’t get the job done anymore. Like I said, Herndon is a better option at this point.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Fortunate to get out of the inning.

12. firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Stutes got lucky. Would like to see a couple insurance runs yet

• FC - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I don’t think the insurance runs are coming. I hope Madson isn’t rusty, on the other hand he won’t face Votto :)

13. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Is this Madson’s first save chance since the Washington debacle?

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I believe it is, yes

14. firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I want to believe in Madson, I really do. But I can’t help but worry

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM

And just as I click “post comment” he closes out the game

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Held my breath. Hats off to Madson. Salut!

15. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Ok, good win. Hopefully the offense looks better tomorrow night.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM

7-12 runs would be nice

16. FC - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Holy Cow! I never realized Shane talked so FAST!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Yeah, the little Hawaiian is a ball of natural energy.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:13 PM

He is like the legal guy at the end of a car commercial

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4702)