Aug 29, 2011, 4:42 PM EDT
Jon Rauch is on the verge of rejoining the Blue Jays’ bullpen less than two weeks after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.
Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Rauch has been cleared to throw a simulated game tomorrow and could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Thursday if everything goes well.
What role he’ll fill upon returning is unclear, as Rauch had been struggling prior to the DL stint and fill-in closer Frank Francisco has thrived in his absence.
Rauch has reportedly cleared waivers, but trading him by Wednesday would be pretty difficult (though not impossible).
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)