Aug 29, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Cruz will be placed on the disabled list and is expected to miss three weeks after being diagnosed with a Grade 1 hamstring strain, which won’t do anything to squash the Rangers’ rumored interest in Lance Berkman.
Nelson Cruz exited yesterday’s game after straining his left hamstring running out a double, which is especially worrisome for the Rangers given that he spent three different stints on the disabled list with hamstring problems last season.
It looked serious as Cruz limped off the field and he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today, but the outfielder told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas that he’s hopeful the injury will prove minor and he can avoid the DL:
Last year, it would still feel pretty bad even with the treatment. That’s not how it felt tonight. It felt more normal. Hopefully, it’s not bad and I’m back soon.
With rosters expanding Thursday anyway there’s less need to place Cruz on the DL, but Durrett speculates that it might cause the Rangers to pursue another outfielder via the waiver wire. Cruz has been much healthier this season and has already played more games than he did all of last year, but his OPS has dropped nearly 100 points and he’s been much less active on the bases.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)