Aug 29, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: Cruz will be placed on the disabled list and is expected to miss three weeks after being diagnosed with a Grade 1 hamstring strain, which won’t do anything to squash the Rangers’ rumored interest in Lance Berkman.
Nelson Cruz exited yesterday’s game after straining his left hamstring running out a double, which is especially worrisome for the Rangers given that he spent three different stints on the disabled list with hamstring problems last season.
It looked serious as Cruz limped off the field and he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today, but the outfielder told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas that he’s hopeful the injury will prove minor and he can avoid the DL:
Last year, it would still feel pretty bad even with the treatment. That’s not how it felt tonight. It felt more normal. Hopefully, it’s not bad and I’m back soon.
With rosters expanding Thursday anyway there’s less need to place Cruz on the DL, but Durrett speculates that it might cause the Rangers to pursue another outfielder via the waiver wire. Cruz has been much healthier this season and has already played more games than he did all of last year, but his OPS has dropped nearly 100 points and he’s been much less active on the bases.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)