Aug 29, 2011, 5:32 PM EST
UPDATE: Cruz will be placed on the disabled list and is expected to miss three weeks after being diagnosed with a Grade 1 hamstring strain, which won’t do anything to squash the Rangers’ rumored interest in Lance Berkman.
Nelson Cruz exited yesterday’s game after straining his left hamstring running out a double, which is especially worrisome for the Rangers given that he spent three different stints on the disabled list with hamstring problems last season.
It looked serious as Cruz limped off the field and he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today, but the outfielder told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas that he’s hopeful the injury will prove minor and he can avoid the DL:
Last year, it would still feel pretty bad even with the treatment. That’s not how it felt tonight. It felt more normal. Hopefully, it’s not bad and I’m back soon.
With rosters expanding Thursday anyway there’s less need to place Cruz on the DL, but Durrett speculates that it might cause the Rangers to pursue another outfielder via the waiver wire. Cruz has been much healthier this season and has already played more games than he did all of last year, but his OPS has dropped nearly 100 points and he’s been much less active on the bases.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)