Aug 29, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
Too soon? Maybe it’s too soon.
But can we at least acknowledge that were it not for the Civil War that baseball would have spread across our Great Republic — or perhaps our fractured and ugly two-nation former Republic depending on how things woulda gone — without it?
That’s part of what’s in play in this fascinating look at baseball during the war, particularly in the military encampments around Washington D.C. Bonus points for the two-word spelling “base ball.” Extra bonus points for the old newspaper article cited which describes it as a game “calculated to improve the health, while strengthening the mind.”
(link via BTF)
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball