Aug 29, 2011, 5:40 PM EST
Too soon? Maybe it’s too soon.
But can we at least acknowledge that were it not for the Civil War that baseball would have spread across our Great Republic — or perhaps our fractured and ugly two-nation former Republic depending on how things woulda gone — without it?
That’s part of what’s in play in this fascinating look at baseball during the war, particularly in the military encampments around Washington D.C. Bonus points for the two-word spelling “base ball.” Extra bonus points for the old newspaper article cited which describes it as a game “calculated to improve the health, while strengthening the mind.”
(link via BTF)
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27