Aug 29, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
Pedro Feliciano signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll never throw a pitch for the club.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier today that Feliciano has been shut down indefinitely after feeling more soreness in his shoulder. The veteran southpaw tossed a scoreless inning in his first rehab appearance last Thursday with the GCL Yankees, but was scratched from a scheduled appearance on Saturday.
Feliciano hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors this season while attempting to rehab a torn capsule in his shoulder. It was considered a longshot for him to help the Yankees down the stretch in the first place, but Girardi said today that the prospect of surgery could knock him out for 2012 and perhaps end his career.
“I think knowing the severity of Feliciano’s injury, I held out a little bit of hope, but I thought it would be really difficult for him to get back,” Girardi said.
“If he has surgery, he’s going to miss a whole year anyway, and it might be career-[ending],” Girardi said.
Feliciano, 35, has a 3.31 ERA and 1.37 WHIP over 449 major league appearances. He made 266 appearances from 2008-2010, establishing a new major league record.
- Report: Athletics close to a trade involving Jeff Samardzija 0
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)