Aug 29, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
Pedro Feliciano signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll never throw a pitch for the club.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier today that Feliciano has been shut down indefinitely after feeling more soreness in his shoulder. The veteran southpaw tossed a scoreless inning in his first rehab appearance last Thursday with the GCL Yankees, but was scratched from a scheduled appearance on Saturday.
Feliciano hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors this season while attempting to rehab a torn capsule in his shoulder. It was considered a longshot for him to help the Yankees down the stretch in the first place, but Girardi said today that the prospect of surgery could knock him out for 2012 and perhaps end his career.
“I think knowing the severity of Feliciano’s injury, I held out a little bit of hope, but I thought it would be really difficult for him to get back,” Girardi said.
“If he has surgery, he’s going to miss a whole year anyway, and it might be career-[ending],” Girardi said.
Feliciano, 35, has a 3.31 ERA and 1.37 WHIP over 449 major league appearances. He made 266 appearances from 2008-2010, establishing a new major league record.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 21
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)