Aug 29, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
Pedro Feliciano signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll never throw a pitch for the club.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier today that Feliciano has been shut down indefinitely after feeling more soreness in his shoulder. The veteran southpaw tossed a scoreless inning in his first rehab appearance last Thursday with the GCL Yankees, but was scratched from a scheduled appearance on Saturday.
Feliciano hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors this season while attempting to rehab a torn capsule in his shoulder. It was considered a longshot for him to help the Yankees down the stretch in the first place, but Girardi said today that the prospect of surgery could knock him out for 2012 and perhaps end his career.
“I think knowing the severity of Feliciano’s injury, I held out a little bit of hope, but I thought it would be really difficult for him to get back,” Girardi said.
“If he has surgery, he’s going to miss a whole year anyway, and it might be career-[ending],” Girardi said.
Feliciano, 35, has a 3.31 ERA and 1.37 WHIP over 449 major league appearances. He made 266 appearances from 2008-2010, establishing a new major league record.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)