Aug 29, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
Pedro Feliciano signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll never throw a pitch for the club.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier today that Feliciano has been shut down indefinitely after feeling more soreness in his shoulder. The veteran southpaw tossed a scoreless inning in his first rehab appearance last Thursday with the GCL Yankees, but was scratched from a scheduled appearance on Saturday.
Feliciano hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors this season while attempting to rehab a torn capsule in his shoulder. It was considered a longshot for him to help the Yankees down the stretch in the first place, but Girardi said today that the prospect of surgery could knock him out for 2012 and perhaps end his career.
“I think knowing the severity of Feliciano’s injury, I held out a little bit of hope, but I thought it would be really difficult for him to get back,” Girardi said.
“If he has surgery, he’s going to miss a whole year anyway, and it might be career-[ending],” Girardi said.
Feliciano, 35, has a 3.31 ERA and 1.37 WHIP over 449 major league appearances. He made 266 appearances from 2008-2010, establishing a new major league record.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)