Pedro Feliciano shut down with more shoulder soreness

Aug 29, 2011, 8:38 PM EST

Yankees Spring Training Getty Images

Pedro Feliciano signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Yankees over the winter, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll never throw a pitch for the club.

According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said earlier today that Feliciano has been shut down indefinitely after feeling more soreness in his shoulder. The veteran southpaw tossed a scoreless inning in his first rehab appearance last Thursday with the GCL Yankees, but was scratched from a scheduled appearance on Saturday.

Feliciano hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors this season while attempting to rehab a torn capsule in his shoulder. It was considered a longshot for him to help the Yankees down the stretch in the first place, but Girardi said today that the prospect of surgery could knock him out for 2012 and perhaps end his career.

“I think knowing the severity of Feliciano’s injury, I held out a little bit of hope, but I thought it would be really difficult for him to get back,” Girardi said.

“If he has surgery, he’s going to miss a whole year anyway, and it might be career-[ending],” Girardi said.

Feliciano, 35, has a 3.31 ERA and 1.37 WHIP over 449 major league appearances. He made 266 appearances from 2008-2010, establishing a new major league record.

1. ditto65 - Aug 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I didn’t realze he was around long enough to have the “I’m a BA reliever” photo taken…

2. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 29, 2011 at 11:01 PM

any chance we can give this bum back to the muts?

• yankeesgameday - Aug 29, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Eh, leave the guy be. It isn’t his fault.

3. arrooo - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Mets equal injuries. It’s about time the mets got one over on the yanks

4. Reggie's Bush - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Feliciano’s shoulder does not have a closer’s mentality.

5. Old Gator - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I was listening to his version of “Light My Fire” on the radio today. I hope the surgery won’t affect his guitar strumming.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5160)