Aug 29, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
The Rangers may step up their pursuit of Lance Berkman now that Nelson Cruz will be sidelined for three weeks following yet another hamstring injury, but an intriguing in-house replacement is on his way from the minor leagues.
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, prospect outfielder Leonys Martin will take Cruz’s place on the active roster tomorrow.
Martin, who defected from Cuba last year, was added to the 40-man roster after signing a five-year, $15.5 million contract with the Rangers in May. The 23-year-old batted .348/.435/.571 with four homers, 24 RBI and a 15/8 K/BB ratio over 135 plate appearances with Double-A Frisco, but has struggled a bit since being promoted to Triple-A Round Rock last month, hitting .263/.316/.314 with a .630 OPS over 192 plate appearances. Still, he has plus-speed and is highly regarded for his defense in center field.
It wasn’t too long ago that the Rangers were considering using Martin as their primary center fielder down the stretch, but given his struggles in Triple-A and the strong play of Endy Chavez, that’s unlikely to happen now. Wilson believes that David Murphy will serve as the primary right fielder during Cruz’s absence, so Martin will likely function as a backup outfielder and pinch-runner down the stretch.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)