Aug 29, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT
The Washington Post’s Dan Steinberg presents a great story of how 49-year-old beer vendor Emmanuel Marlow saved a choking kid at Nationals Park on Thursday.
Marlow, whose day job has him caring for patients with Parkinson’s, noticed a child choking while doing his rounds and didn’t see anyone taking charge to help him.
“I guess they never had experienced a first-aid situation,” Marlow said. “[The boy] was actually going to a new color. I knew I needed to jump in and do it. There was no time for hesitation. It had to be done right then and there.”
Marlow performed the Heimlich on the boy and, on the third thrust, dislodged a piece of chicken from his throat, much to the relief of his parents. Marlow said the boy’s mother spent 10 minutes hugging him, crying and thanking him afterwards.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8