Aug 29, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
The Reds have a Yonder Alonso problem.
See, the guy can rake. Big time. He always hit in the minors and in limited playing time in the majors this year he has been fantastic (.467/.556/.867 and three homers in 36 plate appearances).
The problem: he has no position. He is naturally a first baseman, but as you likely know, the reigning MVP plays first base for the Reds and he’s continuing to play MVP-caliber baseball. So you try him in left field and … disaster strikes. As a result, Dusty Baker has been trying to figure out what to do with the guy. They’ve given him some reps at third base, but they haven’t started him there.
At least until tonight. Yonder Alonso will man the hot corner against the Phillies.
Alonso has said that third base was his “position growing up.” But hey, catcher was mine and that didn’t help me. Even when I was still growing up. Hell, the only reason I caught was because I had a catcher’s mitt. Who’s to say why Alonso played third? All we know for sure is that he has never once played it as a professional.
I think I know which game I’m watching tonight. At least until I’m forced to turn away.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)