Aug 29, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
The Reds have a Yonder Alonso problem.
See, the guy can rake. Big time. He always hit in the minors and in limited playing time in the majors this year he has been fantastic (.467/.556/.867 and three homers in 36 plate appearances).
The problem: he has no position. He is naturally a first baseman, but as you likely know, the reigning MVP plays first base for the Reds and he’s continuing to play MVP-caliber baseball. So you try him in left field and … disaster strikes. As a result, Dusty Baker has been trying to figure out what to do with the guy. They’ve given him some reps at third base, but they haven’t started him there.
At least until tonight. Yonder Alonso will man the hot corner against the Phillies.
Alonso has said that third base was his “position growing up.” But hey, catcher was mine and that didn’t help me. Even when I was still growing up. Hell, the only reason I caught was because I had a catcher’s mitt. Who’s to say why Alonso played third? All we know for sure is that he has never once played it as a professional.
I think I know which game I’m watching tonight. At least until I’m forced to turn away.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 64
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)