Aug 29, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
The Reds have a Yonder Alonso problem.
See, the guy can rake. Big time. He always hit in the minors and in limited playing time in the majors this year he has been fantastic (.467/.556/.867 and three homers in 36 plate appearances).
The problem: he has no position. He is naturally a first baseman, but as you likely know, the reigning MVP plays first base for the Reds and he’s continuing to play MVP-caliber baseball. So you try him in left field and … disaster strikes. As a result, Dusty Baker has been trying to figure out what to do with the guy. They’ve given him some reps at third base, but they haven’t started him there.
At least until tonight. Yonder Alonso will man the hot corner against the Phillies.
Alonso has said that third base was his “position growing up.” But hey, catcher was mine and that didn’t help me. Even when I was still growing up. Hell, the only reason I caught was because I had a catcher’s mitt. Who’s to say why Alonso played third? All we know for sure is that he has never once played it as a professional.
I think I know which game I’m watching tonight. At least until I’m forced to turn away.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)