Yonder Alonso will play third base tonight. This should be interesting.

Aug 29, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Alonso_Yonder

The Reds have a Yonder Alonso problem.

See, the guy can rake. Big time. He always hit in the minors and in limited playing time in the majors this year he has been fantastic (.467/.556/.867 and three homers in 36 plate appearances).

The problem: he has no position. He is naturally a first baseman, but as you likely know, the reigning MVP plays first base for the Reds and he’s continuing to play MVP-caliber baseball.  So you try him in left field and … disaster strikes.  As a result, Dusty Baker has been trying to figure out what to do with the guy. They’ve given him some reps at third base, but they haven’t started him there.

At least until tonight.  Yonder Alonso will man the hot corner against the Phillies.

Alonso has said that third base was his “position growing up.” But hey, catcher was mine and that didn’t help me. Even when I was still growing up. Hell, the only reason I caught was because I had a catcher’s mitt.  Who’s to say why Alonso played third?  All we know for sure is that he has never once played it as a professional.

I think I know which game I’m watching tonight. At least until I’m forced to turn away.

1. redsfanmaryd - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Absolutely gotta try this against the Phillies ?? Why now ? Why not the Cubbies or ‘stros…

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I can understand Dusty wanting to keep his bat in the lineup for the night, but I was thinking the same thing. Why not try this in one of the 3 games you just played against the Nationals.

2. FC - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

At least until tonight. Yonder Alonso will man the hot corner against the Phillies.

Charlie, if you’re reading this, put a lot of heavy pull RH in the line-up tonight :D And Howard will have the entire left side of the diamond as a gap to hit when they pull the shift on him.

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Sadly, through the first 7, no one has even come close to hitting it to him

• firedude7160 - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:08 PM

In fact, Martinez was sent out to bunt, and he bunted it TOWARDS FIRST.

3. cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Yonder Alonso, tonight will either make you are break you. I hope this guy has a tough ego because he’s going to play against Colbert Michael “Cole” Hamels (13 – 9). So the odds are that he wont hit well tonight because the only guys that do hit well against Colbert are named on the Met’s roster not the Red’s. The Red’s hit like crap against Colbert. Yonder is going to play a difficult spot in the infield against a pitcher his team traditionally has trouble with. Pray for Yonder’s soul everyone. Pray hard.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

13-7 Cur….don’t go around short changing Colbert.

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

13 – 7!!?? Dear gods it worse than I thought…pray harder everyone.

4. metalhead65 - Aug 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM

first of all it will not matter how well he does at the plate tonite as dusty absolutly will not play him tom. whether he goes 5 for 5 with 5 homers. he will find some excuse and if it is because he is bad defensily that just makes it easier for him. and as for his defense he plays his first game in one of the hardest parks to field in and misplays a ball and this proves he can’t play left field? no it just gives crusty a reason to play fred lewis full time. they already know what type of player he is and that is average at best. dusty has mishandled the left field position the whole year starting with playing the sub .200 hitter gomes until he was mercifully traded. then instead of giving the young and up and coming heisey a shot at playing it regualy he platoons him with lewis,which in dustyland means 2 games a week for heisey. hit 3 homers in a game? that’s nice now sit for the next week. and since he has been injured the last month they still have no idea if he can do the job or not. the reason alonso got called up was because heisey got hurt and they give him 2 games and decide he can’t play? did he not play it in the minors everyday for 2 months? not allot of time granted but he did play it and must have done a ok job to be put out there everyday. why not give him a shot at 3rd the rest of the season? they have nobody besides rolen who can play it since he refuses to play Todd Frazier another young kid brought up to sit on the bench under dusty. he played the position in the minors but crusty prefers the 50 year old cairo to playing a young kid and seeing if he has a future or not. the reds would be better off not having september call-ups this year since crusty will not play them. no it’s more important to finish at .500 than see if any of your young guys have a future.

5. steve959 - Aug 29, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Metalhead…theyre called paragraphs! Look into them!

• metalhead65 - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM

thanks steve that is why I go to sports blogs to make sure I have my comments graded on grammar,punctuation or whatever else you wish to point out instead of my actual comment. but hey if it makes you feel smarter or better about yourself fine.

• twindaddy - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM

If you want people to understand what you’re saying at least learn punctuation. I well placed comma (or the absence of one) dramatically changes the meaning of some sentences. I didn’t bother reading your original comment because it looked like somebody vomited words in my web browser.

I imagine Steve had the same thought I did, though I can’t speak for him.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS