Young fan injured by foul liner at Mets game

Aug 29, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT

Citi Field

The Associated Press reports that a child was hurt when he was hit in the face by a line drive in the ninth inning of the first game in Monday’s doubleheader between the Marlins and Mets.

The young fan was conscious as he was taken off in a wheelchair accompanied by his mother.

“We saw him hit a line drive and, at first, we thought we might catch it. But it went past us and we saw it hit the kid,” witness Nathan Wise said. “We saw him put his hands out and try to block it, but he’s a little kid, so his reactions were slow. We saw his hands up and then saw blood trickling down his face. A security guard called over to the Mets’ dugout for some towels. It looked really serious, but after a couple of minutes, we saw the medics standing around and we realized it was bad, but it wasn’t life-threatening.”

After the game, the seat bottom was removed with drills, and a crew of at least four other maintenance workers were washing the area to clean up the blood.  Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said the team could not provide any information about the extent of the injuries because of medical privacy laws.

1. paperlions - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Taller railings would have stopped that liner.

• antlerclaws - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Too soon? Maybe, but funny, I think. I don’t know.

2. tuftsb - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Medical privacy laws – in this case and in the latest Texas fall guy?

I’d like to know if the kid is OK. If he did steroids we’d know his entire medical history by now..

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I’d like to know too. Its up to his parents though to release the information. I imagine they have a lot on their minds right now. Depending on his age and the state of his scull bones this could be a very serious injury to the young fella. The younger the child the more likely the skull bones are not fused yet thus making blunt trauma worse.

3. hcf95688 - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Just curious: Where were they sitting?

• purnellmeagrejr - Aug 30, 2011 at 8:05 AM

As I recall it was about halfway down the right field line.

• purnellmeagrejr - Aug 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Somebody gave you a thumbs down for your question – apparently on the premise that curiosity killed the cat. I got a thumbs down for providing an answer so I guess – what’s the expression “Satisfaction brought him back” doesn’t hold any water, either.

4. sasquash20 - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:47 AM

That sucks. I hope that youngster is ok.

• kellyb9 - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Who the hell thumbed THIS down?

5. purnellmeagrejr - Aug 30, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I had the game on and saw the play. It looked really frightening but the TV feed didn’t come back to it – just went right back to the batter who obviously had no idea anything was wrong.

• purnellmeagrejr - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I have to laugh – I posted that I saw the play and got voted down – either I have an enemy or somebody on this board doesn’t want people watching Mets games.

6. azvikefan - Aug 30, 2011 at 10:32 AM

In todays America, I’m sure the parents are interviewing lawyers at this time.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2937)