Aug 29, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
The Associated Press reports that a child was hurt when he was hit in the face by a line drive in the ninth inning of the first game in Monday’s doubleheader between the Marlins and Mets.
The young fan was conscious as he was taken off in a wheelchair accompanied by his mother.
“We saw him hit a line drive and, at first, we thought we might catch it. But it went past us and we saw it hit the kid,” witness Nathan Wise said. “We saw him put his hands out and try to block it, but he’s a little kid, so his reactions were slow. We saw his hands up and then saw blood trickling down his face. A security guard called over to the Mets’ dugout for some towels. It looked really serious, but after a couple of minutes, we saw the medics standing around and we realized it was bad, but it wasn’t life-threatening.”
After the game, the seat bottom was removed with drills, and a crew of at least four other maintenance workers were washing the area to clean up the blood. Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said the team could not provide any information about the extent of the injuries because of medical privacy laws.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)