Albert Pujols: Most Valuable Dad

Aug 30, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT

Albert Pujols Getty Images

Look, not much is happening today, so random is fine, right?  Of course it is.

My friend Nick Collias — who is both a Spanish speaker and a writer for MLB Trade Rumors — sent along this feature story about Albert Pujols from Multimedia del Caribe in the Dominican Republic.  It’s in Spanish so it’s not going to be good reading for most of you, but Nick says it’s all about Pujols as father/husband* as opposed to Pujols as baseball-wrecking machine.  Choice quotes:

• “I scrub, wash, iron, and do everything I can to help my wife. I have to help my wife, and not simply by being in the stadium with the Cardinals. There are people who think you’re just a ballplayer, but that’s not true. I’m a husband and father, and that is a blessing that God has given me, and to which I must dedicate myself.”
  • “It doesn’t bother me to change a diaper. Not at all. Recently I’ve been doing it the old-fashioned way, where instead of throwing the kids’ clothes in the washing machine, I’ve knuckled down and washed them with my hands. That’s how I learned to do it, and that’s how I do it every time I have the chance.”

So Albert Pujols is richer than you, better at his job than you are at yours and works harder at home than you do too.  I feel so great about myself. Don’t you?

*I’m trusting. It could easily be about Pujols being the mastermind behind some stolen auto parts ring and I’d have no real idea given that all of the Spanish I once knew slid out of my head circa 1994. Let’s assume Nick is telling the truth, however.

1. theonlynolan - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I left the room today so I didn’t fart in front of my Mother. I really felt good about that up until about five minutes ago. I’m such a waste.

• paperlions - Aug 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I just about needed a beer man to dislodge some pastrami from my esophagus after reading that one.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:12 PM

It’s one thing to change a diaper…that’s something special that a father or mother should do even being rich instead of having a nanny do that for you.

The scrubbing, washing, and ironing part…King Albert…get a maid and/or butler dude. You are about to make more money than God.

3. FC - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

He’s on the level, no worries, great piece.

4. hittfamily - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM

He’s Glenn Beck’s buddy. I have a hard time getting over that, and every time I read a story about him, that is all I can picture. It isn’t because Beck is a republican (which he isn’t). Beck will say and do anything to line his pocketbook. My Grandparents watch Beck and listen to him endlessly, and heed his warnings. Glenn Beck advocated his listeners to buy guns, and stock up on ammo. He encourages them to buy seeds, and emergency rations. He has them buy gold coins for 3 times their value. He is an advocate of fear, and preaches the worst case scenerio as absolute fact.

These are just words to most of us, even Republicans like Joe Scarborough and my father dismiss his fear mongering. However, many of his followers are old people. My grandparents are one of his followers. My grandfather passed away in March, and some of the things we found made me enraged. He had the Glenn Beck endorsed seeds, at a cost of thousands. He had the the gold coins, that Glenn Beck promotes at 3 times market value (they are virtually worthless. Novelty gold plated crap). Grandpa slept with a loaded shotgun on both sides of the bed, although we had removed the guns from his house years ago. Grandpa died scared. Grandpa fought the Nazi’s. He died scared that Nazi/communist/fascist/socialists had taken over his country. He was prepared to grow his own food, and fight anyone who tried to take it.

I will not ramble on Rush, Maddow, Hannity or Olbermann. They all feel the way they feel, and have a show to put on. Glenn Beck changes lives. Some of his listeners live in fear and desperation because of what he tells them. He does this simply to make money. I actually liked listening to his show 10 years ago. He wasn’t a preacher of hate and fear back then.

When Albert and Tony took the stage with him, and traveled thousands of miles to do so, I lost all respect for them, and wish nothing good to either one of them.

• Lukehart80 - Aug 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM

You had me til the end. Wishing nothing good to either one of them seems a little harsh.

• hittfamily - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Get off your high horse dude. I will not root for him.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Look, I hate Glenn Beck as much as any sane American who values the truth, but saying that he and Pujols are “buddies” is quite a leap.

Albert went to that 9/12 event because he was assured that it was a nonpartisan event (my ass, it was, but still…) and received a nonpartisan award for his charitable work.

I am 100% in agreement with you about what a dangerous cancer Beck is on this nation and how he uses scare tactics to freak the hell out of people (such as my aunt), but don’t lump Pujols in with him and his ilk.

That’s just as bad as the idiots who say that Obama and Bill Ayers share the same politics because of a couple of fortuitous encounters.

• hittfamily - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I don’t think that is a fair comparison. Obama attended a small fundraiser for a democrat who would have thrown a fundraiser for any democrat. Obama happened to be one of those democrats. Ayers happened to be the other.

A better comparison would be if a player went to the Westboro Baptist Church, but later claimed he only went there to worship god. Would I be wrong for disliking that player? Hell no! That player knew damn well where he was, and who he was associating with. Albert is no different. I do not hope injury on Albert, but I do wish failure. I just have a hard time liking him. I really enjoyed watching him prior to his getting on that stage. Now, I will be very disappointed when he starts breaking records.

• paperlions - Aug 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

How much do you care about Dominican politics? That amount is how much Pujols cares about US politics.

• hittfamily - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Garbage. He and Tony flew to a rally in Washington DC. If it is about prayer or whatever, hold it in Memphis, St Louis, or Dallas. It was a show of force, by the Fringe of society. Pujols and Tony are part of that fringe, and I can’t root for them because of that.

• paperlions - Aug 31, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I see you know as much about people as you do about decorum or baseball, which is to say barely more than nothing.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 31, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Wow…you have serious paranoia issues. Are you sure you don’t listen to Glenn and Rush? He made an appearance to receive an award. He donated everybit of his monetary compensation to charity. It seems you have fallen into the deep end of the pool. Your comments are just as bad. Waaaaay over the top.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 31, 2011 at 9:31 AM

@ Hittfamily: I find it kind of ironic you mention Obama and fundraisers and then in the next sentence mention Westboro Baptist Church. Tell me…who was (and to a lesser extent still is) Obama’s Pastor? Answer: The “great” Reverand Wright of course. He (and his family) have been a member of his “Church” for years. He takes his kids to this church! You know Reverend Wright don’t you? He of the G-Damn America, G-Damn white people…trying to keep a brother down Reverend Wright. It sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

5. indaburg - Aug 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM

My husband is right now cursing Pujols. All I can say is what a man.

According to the article, he doesn’t even spank his children. Being of Dominican heritage myself, I know that is very unusual in the culture, as is everything else he claims he does–Dominican men are typically very proud of their “machismo” ways.

6. birdsnblues - Aug 31, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Do fish get thirsty?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Yes. And they have sex in the water.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2790)