Aug 30, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Look, not much is happening today, so random is fine, right? Of course it is.
My friend Nick Collias — who is both a Spanish speaker and a writer for MLB Trade Rumors — sent along this feature story about Albert Pujols from Multimedia del Caribe in the Dominican Republic. It’s in Spanish so it’s not going to be good reading for most of you, but Nick says it’s all about Pujols as father/husband* as opposed to Pujols as baseball-wrecking machine. Choice quotes:
- “I scrub, wash, iron, and do everything I can to help my wife. I have to help my wife, and not simply by being in the stadium with the Cardinals. There are people who think you’re just a ballplayer, but that’s not true. I’m a husband and father, and that is a blessing that God has given me, and to which I must dedicate myself.”
- “It doesn’t bother me to change a diaper. Not at all. Recently I’ve been doing it the old-fashioned way, where instead of throwing the kids’ clothes in the washing machine, I’ve knuckled down and washed them with my hands. That’s how I learned to do it, and that’s how I do it every time I have the chance.”
So Albert Pujols is richer than you, better at his job than you are at yours and works harder at home than you do too. I feel so great about myself. Don’t you?
*I’m trusting. It could easily be about Pujols being the mastermind behind some stolen auto parts ring and I’d have no real idea given that all of the Spanish I once knew slid out of my head circa 1994. Let’s assume Nick is telling the truth, however.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (83)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (77)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (74)