Aug 30, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Look, not much is happening today, so random is fine, right? Of course it is.
My friend Nick Collias — who is both a Spanish speaker and a writer for MLB Trade Rumors — sent along this feature story about Albert Pujols from Multimedia del Caribe in the Dominican Republic. It’s in Spanish so it’s not going to be good reading for most of you, but Nick says it’s all about Pujols as father/husband* as opposed to Pujols as baseball-wrecking machine. Choice quotes:
- “I scrub, wash, iron, and do everything I can to help my wife. I have to help my wife, and not simply by being in the stadium with the Cardinals. There are people who think you’re just a ballplayer, but that’s not true. I’m a husband and father, and that is a blessing that God has given me, and to which I must dedicate myself.”
- “It doesn’t bother me to change a diaper. Not at all. Recently I’ve been doing it the old-fashioned way, where instead of throwing the kids’ clothes in the washing machine, I’ve knuckled down and washed them with my hands. That’s how I learned to do it, and that’s how I do it every time I have the chance.”
So Albert Pujols is richer than you, better at his job than you are at yours and works harder at home than you do too. I feel so great about myself. Don’t you?
*I’m trusting. It could easily be about Pujols being the mastermind behind some stolen auto parts ring and I’d have no real idea given that all of the Spanish I once knew slid out of my head circa 1994. Let’s assume Nick is telling the truth, however.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (196)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)