Barry Bonds to be sentenced December 16th

Aug 30, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Barry Bonds Convicted Of One Count Of Obstruction Of Justice Getty Images

Gwen Knapp of the Chronicle tweeted a few minutes ago that the judge in the Barry Bonds case has set Bonds’ sentencing for December 16th. Knapp’s assumption — which sounds like a very reasonable one — is that he won’t do time but rather will get some sort of home confinement or probation or something.

I’d prefer to see community service of some sort. Have Bonds show up in a classroom to talk about drug use or something like that. Not because I think it will do him or society any favors, but because you just know it will make someone’s head explode to have a murderous, felonious, sociopathic criminal like Bonds in front of children.

Or, so the story will read.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Barry Bonds first ballot hall of famer 2013.

• The Common Man - Aug 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM

God, I hope he can leave the state by then.

• Alex K - Aug 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I agree 100%

2. cur68 - Aug 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM

In a punishment to fit the crime way, talking about drug use with kids is a fitting punishment for Bonds. After that I hope this all goes away. Far away.

3. Old Gator - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I wish I could find a way to give a damn about Barry Bonds.

4. scatterbrian - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I like the community service idea too, but I don’t see what talking to kids would accomplish. I mean, assuming you want him to highlight and emphasize the negative aspects, what could Bonds possibly talk about?

• bobdira - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM

He could tell them how to be surley, self centered, egotistical, a liar, a cheat and a thief, as in how to steal the most coveted trophy in baseball by simply putting drugs in your body. And like cur68 I look forward to the day when I don’t have to hear this piece of crap’s name spoken again.

• rhandome - Aug 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM

So your form your opinions of players’ personalities based on what sanctimonious sportswriters write about them? And you think steroids are magical hit-baseballs-better juice? Do you have any other wrong ideas you’d like to share?

5. bjtmeyer - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Just put an asterisk next to his records.

6. trbowman - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM

FREE BARRY BONDS

7. sdpaulson - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Put an asterisk next to Bud “the pud” for he, baseball, and ownership to allow this to go on for so many years prior (cover up – dump it all on Barry). Put an asterisk next to the government wasting so much tax payer money on all of this – but wait, there will be another appeal. Then put an asterisk next to the Media for generally being the moron’s continually reporting on this when no one really give a #$.%! anymore.

8. bobdira - Aug 31, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Hey rhandome, here’s an idea for you, use your feeble excuse for a brain. I don’t need a sports writer to tell me what my eyes see, my ears hear and my sense of what is appropriate observes.
    As far as magical, hit a baseball juice steroids, provide the strength to take long fly balls and make them home runs! How many more home runs would there be if the fences were moved in 20 feet. Starting to get the idea yet????? In the history of baseball, make that sports, no player became better after age 35. It’s called aging. Chart the home run numbers of every player of consequence when it comes to home runs and the only ones who show an increase as dramatic as Cheater Bonds, are the others suspected of juicing. Why am I argueing with you? You’re a lost cause. adios

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey