Aug 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
The Nationals are expected to call up infielder Steve Lombardozzi soon. A lot of people are high on him, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him spell Danny Espinosa and/or Ian Desmond as the Nats play out the string.
As The Washington Times’* Amanda Comak reports, however, Espinosa is not prepared to play the “anything to help the team” card at the moment:
Espinosa’s words were strong, admitting that he had no inclination to “give up my spot just to help someone,” and that “Desmond and I have busted (it) all year and I think we need the opportunity to finish our years. We’ve worked too hard and we’ve played every single game. We’re two young ballplayers. It’s not like we’re two older guys that are on the way out or something.”
I can’t imagine a player like Espinosa wants to lose any playing time, but that’s not exactly the stock response one gets in such situations.
*Apologies. I initially said that Ms. Comak works for the Washington Post. She, in fact, works for the Washington Times. A thousand pardons.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)