Aug 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
The Nationals are expected to call up infielder Steve Lombardozzi soon. A lot of people are high on him, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him spell Danny Espinosa and/or Ian Desmond as the Nats play out the string.
As The Washington Times’* Amanda Comak reports, however, Espinosa is not prepared to play the “anything to help the team” card at the moment:
Espinosa’s words were strong, admitting that he had no inclination to “give up my spot just to help someone,” and that “Desmond and I have busted (it) all year and I think we need the opportunity to finish our years. We’ve worked too hard and we’ve played every single game. We’re two young ballplayers. It’s not like we’re two older guys that are on the way out or something.”
I can’t imagine a player like Espinosa wants to lose any playing time, but that’s not exactly the stock response one gets in such situations.
*Apologies. I initially said that Ms. Comak works for the Washington Post. She, in fact, works for the Washington Times. A thousand pardons.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)