Danny Espinosa is not happy with the idea of giving up playing time

Aug 30, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Espinosa_Danny

The Nationals are expected to call up infielder Steve Lombardozzi soon. A lot of people are high on him, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him spell Danny Espinosa and/or Ian Desmond as the Nats play out the string.

As The Washington Times’* Amanda Comak reports, however, Espinosa is not prepared to play the “anything to help the team” card at the moment:

Espinosa’s words were strong, admitting that he had no inclination to “give up my spot just to help someone,” and that “Desmond and I have busted (it) all year and I think we need the opportunity to finish our years. We’ve worked too hard and we’ve played every single game. We’re two young ballplayers. It’s not like we’re two older guys that are on the way out or something.”

I can’t imagine a player like Espinosa wants to lose any playing time, but that’s not exactly the stock response one gets in such situations.

*Apologies. I initially said that Ms. Comak works for the Washington Post. She, in fact, works for the Washington Times.  A thousand pardons.

1. Joe - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I’d be pissed, too. Steve Lombardozzi is 51 years old. No way he’ll be a useful player when the Nats are ready to contend.

2. shmed105 - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Good for him. I’d be pissed too.

3. scatterbrian - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

What is it with selfish lousy-hitting infielders today?

• kinggw - Aug 30, 2011 at 3:18 PM

What makes him selfish? Espinosa is right. He has been working hard all year, I would be concerned if he wasnt a bit upset about losing playing time. His comments show me that he isnt complacent and has some edge, I love it.

4. hoopmatch - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Somebody tell Danny he wouldn’t be in this situation if he was hitting .280 or better.

• xmatt0926x - Aug 30, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Agreed. I also agree with the sentiment that it’s good sometimes to see a player be honest and not throw out the company line when losing playing time, but in the end there’s likely a reason your team want’s to cut your time for someone else. Make the decision hard for them by actually playing well. Imagine that.

5. shawndc04 - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Umm, not to put too fine a point on it, but if you’re going to give credit, do it accurately. Ms. Comak writes for the Washington Times, not the Washington Post.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3257)