Aug 30, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Juan Gutierrez finished last season as the Diamondbacks’ closer, but Arizona signed J.J. Putz to take that role and after battling arm problems all year Gutierrez is scheduled for Tommy John elbow surgery.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Gutierrez will go under the knife on September 6 and the usual recovery timetable for Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months.
Because he’s arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason Gutierrez is a strong non-tender candidate, although the Diamondbacks could look to re-sign the 27-year-old right-hander to a lesser salary.
He has a 4.62 ERA and 136/62 K/BB ratio in 146 innings since 2009, totaling 24 saves.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)