Aug 30, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Juan Gutierrez finished last season as the Diamondbacks’ closer, but Arizona signed J.J. Putz to take that role and after battling arm problems all year Gutierrez is scheduled for Tommy John elbow surgery.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Gutierrez will go under the knife on September 6 and the usual recovery timetable for Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months.
Because he’s arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason Gutierrez is a strong non-tender candidate, although the Diamondbacks could look to re-sign the 27-year-old right-hander to a lesser salary.
He has a 4.62 ERA and 136/62 K/BB ratio in 146 innings since 2009, totaling 24 saves.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 5
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)