Aug 30, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Juan Gutierrez finished last season as the Diamondbacks’ closer, but Arizona signed J.J. Putz to take that role and after battling arm problems all year Gutierrez is scheduled for Tommy John elbow surgery.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Gutierrez will go under the knife on September 6 and the usual recovery timetable for Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months.
Because he’s arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason Gutierrez is a strong non-tender candidate, although the Diamondbacks could look to re-sign the 27-year-old right-hander to a lesser salary.
He has a 4.62 ERA and 136/62 K/BB ratio in 146 innings since 2009, totaling 24 saves.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)