Aug 30, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Juan Gutierrez finished last season as the Diamondbacks’ closer, but Arizona signed J.J. Putz to take that role and after battling arm problems all year Gutierrez is scheduled for Tommy John elbow surgery.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Gutierrez will go under the knife on September 6 and the usual recovery timetable for Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months.
Because he’s arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason Gutierrez is a strong non-tender candidate, although the Diamondbacks could look to re-sign the 27-year-old right-hander to a lesser salary.
He has a 4.62 ERA and 136/62 K/BB ratio in 146 innings since 2009, totaling 24 saves.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)