Aug 30, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Juan Gutierrez finished last season as the Diamondbacks’ closer, but Arizona signed J.J. Putz to take that role and after battling arm problems all year Gutierrez is scheduled for Tommy John elbow surgery.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Gutierrez will go under the knife on September 6 and the usual recovery timetable for Tommy John surgery is 12-18 months.
Because he’s arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason Gutierrez is a strong non-tender candidate, although the Diamondbacks could look to re-sign the 27-year-old right-hander to a lesser salary.
He has a 4.62 ERA and 136/62 K/BB ratio in 146 innings since 2009, totaling 24 saves.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40