Dirk Hayhurst got released

Aug 30, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays Photo Day Getty Images

Normally the release of a thirty-year-old minor leaguer wouldn’t rate a mention here, but it does when it’s Dirk Hayhurst.  He announced that the Rays released him yesterday and writes about it over at his blog this morning.  As is befitting the guy who, just yesterday, explained his relationship with baseball in a pretty nuanced fashion, his take on the release was pretty damn balanced and reasonable.

I’d certainly like to see Hayhurst catch on elsewhere because the game needs smart individuals, even if they’re so rarely rewarded for their brains and individuality (often the contrary, I think).

But if he doesn’t, I don’t worry too much about the guy. There is always a place in the world for people who walk through it with their eyes open, their minds functioning and their spirits unbroken.

1. trevorb06 - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Why not offer him a job at HBT? I think he’d add a hell of a lot around this already fine establishment.

• shaggylocks - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Good call. The insider perspective would be awesome. It’ll bring the site up another notch.

• cur68 - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Him and Bob Tufts should get together and do an ‘insider’s’ style thing. Then they & HBT could link back and forth. I’d waste whole new amounts of my day that way.

2. nolanwiffle - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Love the game or she will break up with you.

3. whyfrediwhy - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Dude can write.

4. Joe - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM

5. bcopus - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I live in Arkansas, where having your mind and your eyes open can be pretty frightening. It’s pretty easy to forget that intelligence isn’t considered a bad thing elsewhere. People think you are trying to swindle them out of something if you use big words or logic here.

• seattlej - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Easy solution: Move.

6. Detroit Michael - Aug 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Hayhurst’s 2011 statistics were merely OK, not bad but nothing that screams that he’s worth keeping employed either. Here’s the link so you can judge for yourself: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hayhur001dir

It’s hard to remain a viable prospect as a 30-year-old reliever who has had major surgery. I’ll be rooting for him to get another shot.

7. hankg42 - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Ever since I read his book I’ve actually been hoping to see him pitch at some point, but it hasn’t happened and probably won’t now. I have been trying to decide if he is a pretty good writer for a baseball player, or a pretty good baseball player for a writer. Either way, I wish him luck.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3279)