Aug 30, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Normally the release of a thirty-year-old minor leaguer wouldn’t rate a mention here, but it does when it’s Dirk Hayhurst. He announced that the Rays released him yesterday and writes about it over at his blog this morning. As is befitting the guy who, just yesterday, explained his relationship with baseball in a pretty nuanced fashion, his take on the release was pretty damn balanced and reasonable.
I’d certainly like to see Hayhurst catch on elsewhere because the game needs smart individuals, even if they’re so rarely rewarded for their brains and individuality (often the contrary, I think).
But if he doesn’t, I don’t worry too much about the guy. There is always a place in the world for people who walk through it with their eyes open, their minds functioning and their spirits unbroken.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)