Aug 30, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
Normally the release of a thirty-year-old minor leaguer wouldn’t rate a mention here, but it does when it’s Dirk Hayhurst. He announced that the Rays released him yesterday and writes about it over at his blog this morning. As is befitting the guy who, just yesterday, explained his relationship with baseball in a pretty nuanced fashion, his take on the release was pretty damn balanced and reasonable.
I’d certainly like to see Hayhurst catch on elsewhere because the game needs smart individuals, even if they’re so rarely rewarded for their brains and individuality (often the contrary, I think).
But if he doesn’t, I don’t worry too much about the guy. There is always a place in the world for people who walk through it with their eyes open, their minds functioning and their spirits unbroken.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 68
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)