Howard Johnson to play with son for indy team

Aug 30, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT

Howard Johnson - 87 Fleer

Metsblog.com points out that the Rockland Boulders of the independent Can-Am League on Tuesday announced the signing of father-and-son pair Howard and Glen Johnson.

The duo will play alongside one another on Sept. 4-5 against the Newark Bears.

“This may be my last go ‘round so it’s a great opportunity to play in a professional game with my son,” said Howard Johnson. “How many fathers can do that?”

The 51-year-old Johnson retired in 1995 after playing 14 seasons in the majors and making two All-Star teams.  A fantasy baseball stud as a third baseman and shortstop in the late-80s, he had three 30-homer and four 30-steal seasons for the Mets.  His best year came in 1989, when he hit .287/.369/.559 with 36 homers, 101 RBI, 41 steals and an NL-leading 104 runs scored.  He also led the NL in homers (38) and RBI (117) in 1991.

The younger Johnson was a 36th-round pick of the Mets out of high school in 2007, but he opted to go to college after the draft.  This will be his professional debut, and considering that he hit .220 for Pace University in his final year in school, it’s probably nothing more than a cameo for him.

So, yeah, it’s a publicity stunt for Rockland.  But what child of the 80’s can pass up a chance to write about Ho-Jo?

1. largebill - Aug 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM

This is pretty cool. I wish I could play on my son’s team. I’d have to shave and forge a birth certificate. I know I’d hit better now than in the 70’s. However, if I don’t hit it out of the infield I’m toast.

2. humanexcrement - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Some guy who’s busting his ass trying to make it in professional baseball is going to get cut so this team can put HoJo out there as a novelty act to sell approximately twelve tickets.

• donniebb23 - Aug 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM

First, I’m sure there’s a loophole for these teams to not cut somebody due to a 1 game publicity stunt. Second, even if there is, If you’re already playing in the Can-Am league and you’re on the verge of being cut then… well… you’re probably not gonna make it. Sorry.

• kinggeorge96 - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:31 PM

The Rockland Boulders are 5 minutes from my house; a new team that started just this year.Trust me, we aren’t talking about major league quality players here. They’ve already basically turned over their roster 2x this year… Once already they released 9 players at once, maybe more I believe, and the other time it was pretty similar.

They’re still trying to work out the kinks in the roster and get people in the seats.

They aren’t too bad.. but they aren’t too good either.

3. raysfan1 - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Always cool when this opportunity comes up for a family. I loved it when Ken Griffey Sr and Jr both got to play for the Mariners.
    The guy who gets cut? He probably gets re-signed as soon as the publicity event’s over–if he had any real value to the team at all.

All the trade deadline news to know