Aug 30, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Rosters expand from 25 to 40 tomorrow, but the Indians needed a spot for today’s starting pitcher, Jeanmar Gomez, and created one by optioning Matt LaPorta to Triple-A.
LaPorta will no doubt be back in September, but he’ll have to wait at least 10 days to rejoin the team unless someone is placed on the disabled list in the meantime.
LaPorta was the centerpiece of the package Cleveland got from Milwaukee for CC Sabathia and at the time the former No. 7 overall pick looked like a future middle-of-the-order impact bat, but he’s battled various injuries while hitting just .234 with a .694 OPS in 259 games for the Indians.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)