Aug 30, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Rosters expand from 25 to 40 tomorrow, but the Indians needed a spot for today’s starting pitcher, Jeanmar Gomez, and created one by optioning Matt LaPorta to Triple-A.
LaPorta will no doubt be back in September, but he’ll have to wait at least 10 days to rejoin the team unless someone is placed on the disabled list in the meantime.
LaPorta was the centerpiece of the package Cleveland got from Milwaukee for CC Sabathia and at the time the former No. 7 overall pick looked like a future middle-of-the-order impact bat, but he’s battled various injuries while hitting just .234 with a .694 OPS in 259 games for the Indians.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (203)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)