Aug 30, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Rosters expand from 25 to 40 tomorrow, but the Indians needed a spot for today’s starting pitcher, Jeanmar Gomez, and created one by optioning Matt LaPorta to Triple-A.
LaPorta will no doubt be back in September, but he’ll have to wait at least 10 days to rejoin the team unless someone is placed on the disabled list in the meantime.
LaPorta was the centerpiece of the package Cleveland got from Milwaukee for CC Sabathia and at the time the former No. 7 overall pick looked like a future middle-of-the-order impact bat, but he’s battled various injuries while hitting just .234 with a .694 OPS in 259 games for the Indians.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)