Aug 30, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
Rosters expand from 25 to 40 tomorrow, but the Indians needed a spot for today’s starting pitcher, Jeanmar Gomez, and created one by optioning Matt LaPorta to Triple-A.
LaPorta will no doubt be back in September, but he’ll have to wait at least 10 days to rejoin the team unless someone is placed on the disabled list in the meantime.
LaPorta was the centerpiece of the package Cleveland got from Milwaukee for CC Sabathia and at the time the former No. 7 overall pick looked like a future middle-of-the-order impact bat, but he’s battled various injuries while hitting just .234 with a .694 OPS in 259 games for the Indians.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (84)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)