Aug 30, 2011, 7:05 PM EST
“I’m not going to get moved,” Berkman said. ” I think the ship has sailed. I really do.
“I don’t want to be moved. I don’t think they want to move me. Obviously Mo has an obligation as the general manager to listen to any… But certainly I think both sides, myself and the Cardinals, we’re on the same page with this.”
Berkman is a free agent at season’s end and the Cards no longer have legitimate postseason aspirations, but St. Louis could make a strong bid to re-sign him for 2012 and he’ll almost certainly bring multiple draft picks if he leaves, there isn’t any momentum towards a deal.
The Rangers were believed to be the top and maybe the only suitor for Berkman.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 9
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)