Aug 30, 2011, 7:05 PM EST
“I’m not going to get moved,” Berkman said. ” I think the ship has sailed. I really do.
“I don’t want to be moved. I don’t think they want to move me. Obviously Mo has an obligation as the general manager to listen to any… But certainly I think both sides, myself and the Cardinals, we’re on the same page with this.”
Berkman is a free agent at season’s end and the Cards no longer have legitimate postseason aspirations, but St. Louis could make a strong bid to re-sign him for 2012 and he’ll almost certainly bring multiple draft picks if he leaves, there isn’t any momentum towards a deal.
The Rangers were believed to be the top and maybe the only suitor for Berkman.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (318)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)