Aug 30, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
“I’m not going to get moved,” Berkman said. ” I think the ship has sailed. I really do.
“I don’t want to be moved. I don’t think they want to move me. Obviously Mo has an obligation as the general manager to listen to any… But certainly I think both sides, myself and the Cardinals, we’re on the same page with this.”
Berkman is a free agent at season’s end and the Cards no longer have legitimate postseason aspirations, but St. Louis could make a strong bid to re-sign him for 2012 and he’ll almost certainly bring multiple draft picks if he leaves, there isn’t any momentum towards a deal.
The Rangers were believed to be the top and maybe the only suitor for Berkman.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)