Miguel Tejada will lay down a bunt for $6 million, but he won’t be happy about it

Aug 30, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Miguel Tejada

With the Giants trailing the Astros by one run in the 11th inning Sunday and a runner on first base Miguel Tejada was summoned off the bench to lay down a sacrifice bunt.

Tejada successfully advanced the runner to second base, but Aaron Rowand and Mike Fontenot stranded him, the Giants eventually lost 4-3, and yesterday Tejada explained that he was both surprised and unhappy to get the bunt sign:

I shook my head. I was thinking I was sent up to hit. After that, I did my job. I put the bunt down. I’m not the only guy who was surprised yesterday to see the bunt sign. I just work here. Whatever the manager tells me to do, I gotta do. I respect the manager and the team and my teammates. He tells me to do it, I’ll do it. If that’s the way I’m going to help the team, I’ll do it.

John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that Tejada initially shook his head “no” several times when he saw the bunt sign from third-base coach Tim Flannery and “didn’t run hard to first.” Tejada indicated to reporters that leg soreness kept him from hustling on the play, but then said the injury was “nothing to worry about.”

Tejada also questioned why the manager didn’t send a pitcher to the plate to bunt, as if laying down a sacrifice in the 11th inning of a crucial late-season game should be off limits for a guy hitting .237 with a .268 on-base percentage and .324 slugging percentage. Just one more reason why signing Tejada to a $6 million deal was among the worst moves of the offseason.

1. dailyrev - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM

he was looking for the hit-into-double-play sign. That’s Miggy’s specialty.

2. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM

“I shook my head. I was thinking I was sent up to hit.” + “Tejada initially shook his head ‘no’ several times” + “didn’t run hard to first” + “Tejada also questioned why the manager didn’t send a pitcher to the plate to bunt” = “I respect the manager and the team and my teammates.”

Does not compute.

• clydeserra - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM

not an excuse, but it was not the manager who sent him out there. Bochy had been ejected by that time.

Also, the third base coach had said something in his ear just before he got in the box.

• bobulated - Aug 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM

True. As soon as Bochy was tossed he went into the Acme Steakhouse for a beer and a steak while watching the rest of the game on TV. Managers never run the game from the clubhouse or tunnel after they’re run.

3. jimbo1949 - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:27 AM

The Real Six Million Dollar Man would have bunted the ball outa the park.

4. uberfatty - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Why would he want to hit if he couldn’t run due to leg soreness? He should have been glad to bunt and walk back to the dugout.

5. scatterbrian - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

This reminds me of when Roger Dorn refused to leave for a pinch-runner…

6. dailyrev - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I was watching them last night thinking, “when do we get to see the desperation lineup shake-up on this team?” Sure, they’re the world champs and everything and this offensive ineptitude is nothing new, but Bochy might as well entertain us before the showdown with the Snakes later in the week. A suggestion:

1. Panda
    2. whoever’s at C
    3. whoever’s at SS
    4. Keppinger
    5. Pitcher
    6. Ross or Schierholtz
    7. Beltran
    8. Huff or Belt
    9. Torres

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:36 PM

They did a few weeks ago, when 4 or 5 guys were playing new positions, and the batting order was all jazzed up. I don’t remember the details, but there was a post about it on this site.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Here is the desperation lineup as used on Aug 16:

7. sfsportsfan2555 - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM

he’s lucky he’s still playing for a team.what a douche.

8. paperlions - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Love that picture: he’s fallen, and he can’t get up

9. dlevalley - Aug 30, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Maybe if he doesn’t want to be asked to do pitcher things, he should stop hitting like a pitcher.

10. 24may98 - Aug 30, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Miggy is Sabean’s bastard child:

This is what he bought for $6.5 million:
    37 year old – 321 AB 237/268/592 4 HR/26 RBI/4 SB and 8 errors

When he could have bought for only $5.85 million:
    29 years old – 414 AB 275/316/517 26 HR/ 65 RBI/0 SB and 5 errors

Foregone the trade of Cabrera, and allowed Brandon Crawford to mature properly .as a hitter

But Sabean chose the “veteran” over J.J. Hardy and saved a half million.

• 24may98 - Aug 30, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Make that “could have saved” half mil.

11. greggo1545 - Aug 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I actually kind of agree with Tejada… He shouldn’t have said anything to the media, but why would you waste a pinch-hitter on a bunt, especially a guy who has played forever in the AL (where small ball is non-existent; I’m not counting his years with the Astros)… A veteran like Tejada should/would at least be able to ground out to advance runners- why not give him a chance to actually do some real damage. Bad move Manager for the call, Bad move Tejada for complaining to the media.

• 24may98 - Aug 31, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Certainly, a rational comment, but I guessing that you haven’t seen many Miggy AB’s this season. He has not any conception of the strike zone, and flails aimlessly – a bunt was a good percentage play. He’s painful to watch.

12. gogigantos - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:46 AM

was a painful and confused day when I read that Sabes had jumped into what all knew was an abyss to bring us the potted palm come to be known as Tejajajaja to play short for out pitching rich team.

I loved him when he was an MVP winning player in Oaktown for some very good A’s teams, man how the drummers in the upper deck cheapies rocked for him and them,,, but that ship sailed long ago, topiary is what he was at the time of the signing, embarrassing himself, Sabes, and all us who love the Giants he is now,, well, plenty of that to go around about now eh,,,

Sabes gets another shot to prove he can’t build an offense for all this pitching that is close to getting expensive? This is the worst month of ball in all his many years as Giant GM, 19 loses in a month with all that pitching is embarrassing, I would have sent him off long ago, and really thought a Championship was a good time to send him sailing, but,,, as bad as signing the stone handed one was, it really didn’t seem that it would sink the ship,,, well, a ship of fools all go down together
    still, feels good to complain as the Defending World Series Champions seem to fade away,, not,,, they will be back strong and younger next year, hoping to see the vacuum Crawford at short and a full season of Mr. Belt,
    and
    well
    in the strangest places, still a month to play eh :)
    still got my tapes of last year’s nlds and nlcs hehehe,, oh,, Tejajajajaja

13. gogigantos - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:51 AM

I don’t remember why a Bartlett or Hardy seemed like such a bad idea?
    What was the rush to throw money at a guy who hadn’t been a glove, much less SS, for years???
    Sabes might not be an idiot, he told us so way back and made believers of us, of did Kent and Mitchell do that all by themselves????
    long since stopped believing and decided he was simply a fool with other peoples money and the hearts of all us fans,, a fool who lucked us all into a postseason that all the pitching I ever dreamed of won for us,,, last chance or done, build us an offense better, not just counting on Posey to come back and make it all right,,, build for us, not just fill holes with another old and done limp stick,, build a team Mr. GM Man,,

14. gogigantos - Aug 31, 2011 at 6:05 AM

is it Sabes hell or heaven???
    he has four to play one position,,,
    Uribe, Renteria, Tejajaja, and Cabrera,,,,
    guys he lusted after and had way past their prime
    my nightmare continues interrupted by a World Championship!!!! but, seriously, is that his hell, or his heaven???

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3456)