Aug 30, 2011, 7:38 PM EDT
We have been through this song and dance before, but it sounds like the wheels are in motion for some big changes with the White Sox this winter.
According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters this afternoon that he wants a contract extension.
Guillen, who has the South Siders since 2004, is set to enter next season in the final year of his contract and would like to avoid lame-duck status.
“One thing I make clear, I don’t think I’m going to be back here for a one-year contract (in 2012) and I don’t know what to do with the next year,” Guillen said. “I think that eight years with this organization, I’m guessing we did a pretty good job. I think the players did it for me. I think we deserve more than that.”
These comments are appropriately timed after Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier today that the relationship between Guillen and GM Kenny Williams is “beyond repair.” Williams is no lock to stick around beyond this season either, but this doesn’t sound like an ultimatum Guillen will ultimately win. Perhaps he already knows that.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)