Aug 30, 2011, 7:38 PM EST
We have been through this song and dance before, but it sounds like the wheels are in motion for some big changes with the White Sox this winter.
According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters this afternoon that he wants a contract extension.
Guillen, who has the South Siders since 2004, is set to enter next season in the final year of his contract and would like to avoid lame-duck status.
“One thing I make clear, I don’t think I’m going to be back here for a one-year contract (in 2012) and I don’t know what to do with the next year,” Guillen said. “I think that eight years with this organization, I’m guessing we did a pretty good job. I think the players did it for me. I think we deserve more than that.”
These comments are appropriately timed after Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier today that the relationship between Guillen and GM Kenny Williams is “beyond repair.” Williams is no lock to stick around beyond this season either, but this doesn’t sound like an ultimatum Guillen will ultimately win. Perhaps he already knows that.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)