Ozzie Guillen wants a contract extension from the White Sox

Aug 30, 2011, 7:38 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen AP

We have been through this song and dance before, but it sounds like the wheels are in motion for some big changes with the White Sox this winter.

According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters this afternoon that he wants a contract extension.

Guillen, who has the South Siders since 2004, is set to enter next season in the final year of his contract and would like to avoid lame-duck status.

“One thing I make clear, I don’t think I’m going to be back here for a one-year contract (in 2012) and I don’t know what to do with the next year,” Guillen said. “I think that eight years with this organization, I’m guessing we did a pretty good job. I think the players did it for me. I think we deserve more than that.”

These comments are appropriately timed after Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier today that the relationship between Guillen and GM Kenny Williams is “beyond repair.” Williams is no lock to stick around beyond this season either, but this doesn’t sound like an ultimatum Guillen will ultimately win. Perhaps he already knows that.

1. Gordon - Aug 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Again with this crap! Just shut up and manage the team.

2. ditto65 - Aug 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Can’t hurt to ask.

3. jamie54 - Aug 30, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Just leave and take your son with you.

• Old Gator - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I really wish you wouldn’t say that.

• jamie54 - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I apologize, sir, don’t wish them upon you. More angst and drama is what you don’t need.

4. kiwicricket - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM

“One thing I make clear, I don’t think I’m going to be back here for a one-year contract”

No Ozzie, you still have a final year left on the multi-year contract you signed. Honor it, or shut up and piss off.

• Old Gator - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Well, he looks like an honorable man to me. A complete idiot, but honorable. But yes, he still has a year to go and he should honor his commitments. Let’s all pray that he finds the strength of character to honor his contract. We wouldn’t want him to have to live with himself if he violated it. I mean, I wouldn’t want to live with him. Why should he want to live with himself? It just wouldn’t work. Who’d clean up after him?

5. pisano - Aug 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM

It’s either Ozzie or the GM, and my guess is Ozzie will be wearing his hat and coat. Ciao!

6. jdd428 - Aug 31, 2011 at 12:56 AM

All the White Sox fans who constantly hate on Ozzie need to realize a few things: 1.) He won the city’s only championship in over a century. 2.) This team has gotten next to nothing from Dunn and Rios (and little from Peavy) and is still within 5 games of the lead with just over a month to play. I’d be willing to bet that almost any other team getting nothing from two of their expected top 5 offensive weapons would be way out of it already. Yes, he has flaws and yes he can be too mouthy at times. But I don’t think there’s any better realistic options out there.

7. wkinsomnia - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I love Ozzie, he never bites his tongue and you ALWAYS know whats on his mind. Hes not one of these bullshit Managers that pussyfoots around the media to avoid hot topics. Keep him here in Chicago, goodbye Kenny with your shitty scouting and signing. i.e. Colon, Dunn, Rios, Peavy…etc. What a bum

8. humanexcrement - Aug 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Ozzie is endlessly entertaining, but I’m guessing when you’re the owner of the team, “entertaining” isn’t the word. It’s “irritating” but if he wins, you can ignore it. Now he’s getting to the point where the act is getting old and the novelty is worn off and hiring an old school manager looks like an oasis in a desert. Guillen is a walking test case for how long a manager can survive off winning one world series–which, by the way, he’s never come close to repeating.

• Old Gator - Aug 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM

With a handle like “humanexcrement,” I’m guessing that you would find Ozzie not only entertaining, but delicious.

9. normb11 - Aug 31, 2011 at 9:52 AM

If Albert Pujols were talking about a contract extension right now, he would be ridiculed for doing so in a pennant race.
    Ozzie, you are 5 games back. Focus!

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3489)