Aug 30, 2011, 7:38 PM EDT
We have been through this song and dance before, but it sounds like the wheels are in motion for some big changes with the White Sox this winter.
According to Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters this afternoon that he wants a contract extension.
Guillen, who has the South Siders since 2004, is set to enter next season in the final year of his contract and would like to avoid lame-duck status.
“One thing I make clear, I don’t think I’m going to be back here for a one-year contract (in 2012) and I don’t know what to do with the next year,” Guillen said. “I think that eight years with this organization, I’m guessing we did a pretty good job. I think the players did it for me. I think we deserve more than that.”
These comments are appropriately timed after Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reported earlier today that the relationship between Guillen and GM Kenny Williams is “beyond repair.” Williams is no lock to stick around beyond this season either, but this doesn’t sound like an ultimatum Guillen will ultimately win. Perhaps he already knows that.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 19
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 5
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games