Aug 30, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
There has always been some chippy nonsense between White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and GM Kenny Williams. They have fought openly. Ozzie’s kids have gotten in on the act. But for as ugly as it has gotten at times, there has always been something approaching a cease fire. A time when one or both of them say “look, we’re strong willed guys and we just want to win so this happens.”
Don’t look for that to happen again, at least if what Joe Cowley is reporting in the Sun-Times today is true:
And as September draws near, there’s growing suspicion the curtain is about to close on either manager Ozzie Guillen or general manager Ken Williams — or maybe both. A major-league source told the Sun-Times that the fragile relationship between Guillen and Williams is now beyond repair.
Adding to that, Cowley reports, is that the Sox have lost money this year. It’s all fun and games until cash becomes a problem, and it may very well be that Jerry Reinsdorf has decided that the side show is way less bearable now that the situation has grown worse.
Does Kenny go? Ozzie? Both? Cowley hears rumblings that Ozzie may be the first to go, with the Sox “feeling out” managerial candidates and thinking about renewing talks with the Marlins about letting Guillen go there — where he wants to be and where they love him — in exchange for compensation.
Whatever happens, change seems to be a-comin’ to the south side.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)