Aug 30, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
There has always been some chippy nonsense between White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and GM Kenny Williams. They have fought openly. Ozzie’s kids have gotten in on the act. But for as ugly as it has gotten at times, there has always been something approaching a cease fire. A time when one or both of them say “look, we’re strong willed guys and we just want to win so this happens.”
Don’t look for that to happen again, at least if what Joe Cowley is reporting in the Sun-Times today is true:
And as September draws near, there’s growing suspicion the curtain is about to close on either manager Ozzie Guillen or general manager Ken Williams — or maybe both. A major-league source told the Sun-Times that the fragile relationship between Guillen and Williams is now beyond repair.
Adding to that, Cowley reports, is that the Sox have lost money this year. It’s all fun and games until cash becomes a problem, and it may very well be that Jerry Reinsdorf has decided that the side show is way less bearable now that the situation has grown worse.
Does Kenny go? Ozzie? Both? Cowley hears rumblings that Ozzie may be the first to go, with the Sox “feeling out” managerial candidates and thinking about renewing talks with the Marlins about letting Guillen go there — where he wants to be and where they love him — in exchange for compensation.
Whatever happens, change seems to be a-comin’ to the south side.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)