Aug 30, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
There has always been some chippy nonsense between White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and GM Kenny Williams. They have fought openly. Ozzie’s kids have gotten in on the act. But for as ugly as it has gotten at times, there has always been something approaching a cease fire. A time when one or both of them say “look, we’re strong willed guys and we just want to win so this happens.”
Don’t look for that to happen again, at least if what Joe Cowley is reporting in the Sun-Times today is true:
And as September draws near, there’s growing suspicion the curtain is about to close on either manager Ozzie Guillen or general manager Ken Williams — or maybe both. A major-league source told the Sun-Times that the fragile relationship between Guillen and Williams is now beyond repair.
Adding to that, Cowley reports, is that the Sox have lost money this year. It’s all fun and games until cash becomes a problem, and it may very well be that Jerry Reinsdorf has decided that the side show is way less bearable now that the situation has grown worse.
Does Kenny go? Ozzie? Both? Cowley hears rumblings that Ozzie may be the first to go, with the Sox “feeling out” managerial candidates and thinking about renewing talks with the Marlins about letting Guillen go there — where he wants to be and where they love him — in exchange for compensation.
Whatever happens, change seems to be a-comin’ to the south side.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 14
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)