Aug 30, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
There has always been some chippy nonsense between White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and GM Kenny Williams. They have fought openly. Ozzie’s kids have gotten in on the act. But for as ugly as it has gotten at times, there has always been something approaching a cease fire. A time when one or both of them say “look, we’re strong willed guys and we just want to win so this happens.”
Don’t look for that to happen again, at least if what Joe Cowley is reporting in the Sun-Times today is true:
And as September draws near, there’s growing suspicion the curtain is about to close on either manager Ozzie Guillen or general manager Ken Williams — or maybe both. A major-league source told the Sun-Times that the fragile relationship between Guillen and Williams is now beyond repair.
Adding to that, Cowley reports, is that the Sox have lost money this year. It’s all fun and games until cash becomes a problem, and it may very well be that Jerry Reinsdorf has decided that the side show is way less bearable now that the situation has grown worse.
Does Kenny go? Ozzie? Both? Cowley hears rumblings that Ozzie may be the first to go, with the Sox “feeling out” managerial candidates and thinking about renewing talks with the Marlins about letting Guillen go there — where he wants to be and where they love him — in exchange for compensation.
Whatever happens, change seems to be a-comin’ to the south side.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 57
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)