Aug 30, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
Arizona won its seventh straight game yesterday, beating the Rockies 5-1 behind a strong outing from Daniel Hudson. Hudson added an RBI to — altogether now — help his own cause. Meanwhile the Giants were pounded 7-0 by the Cubs, their already weak bats silenced even more by Randy Wells, who tossed a two-hitter. Bruce Bochy referred to the loss as the low point of the Giants’ season. It’s hard to disagree.
The upshot: Arizona now has a five game lead in the NL West. As Nick Piecoro points out in the Arizona Republic, it’s the Dbacks’ biggest division lead since June 15th 2008.
The two teams play a three-game series this weekend in San Francisco. If their relative trajectories don’t change, the Dbacks could secure the division by Sunday evening.
Which we all saw coming back in March, right?
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)