Aug 30, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
Tommy Hanson was diagnosed with a small “undersurface” rotator tear of his rotator cuff last Friday, but the news was more slightly more encouraging following a visit to Dr. James Andrews yesterday.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Hanson was told by Andrews that he is dealing with regular wear and tear in his shoulder. The young right-hander was cleared to resume his rehab and could begin some light throwing within the next few days.
“Andrews said there are a lot of guys that are way worse off than me,” said Hanson, who was told by Braves orthopedic surgeon Xavier Duralde that 75 percent of pitchers have something similar. “Just hearing it’s normal wear and tear (that) just for whatever reason got inflamed definitely gives me some peace of mind and I’m a lot happier after seeing (Andrews) than I was over the weekend.”
Hanson will have to avoid any setbacks, but Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez is “optimistic” that he could be ready to pitch again within a couple weeks. It’s possible Hanson could return in a bullpen role, but if all goes well during the month of September, he would likely join Jair Jurrjens, Tim Hudson and Brandon Beachy in the projected postseason rotation.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)