Aug 30, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
Tommy Hanson was diagnosed with a small “undersurface” rotator tear of his rotator cuff last Friday, but the news was more slightly more encouraging following a visit to Dr. James Andrews yesterday.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Hanson was told by Andrews that he is dealing with regular wear and tear in his shoulder. The young right-hander was cleared to resume his rehab and could begin some light throwing within the next few days.
“Andrews said there are a lot of guys that are way worse off than me,” said Hanson, who was told by Braves orthopedic surgeon Xavier Duralde that 75 percent of pitchers have something similar. “Just hearing it’s normal wear and tear (that) just for whatever reason got inflamed definitely gives me some peace of mind and I’m a lot happier after seeing (Andrews) than I was over the weekend.”
Hanson will have to avoid any setbacks, but Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez is “optimistic” that he could be ready to pitch again within a couple weeks. It’s possible Hanson could return in a bullpen role, but if all goes well during the month of September, he would likely join Jair Jurrjens, Tim Hudson and Brandon Beachy in the projected postseason rotation.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 2
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 36
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 63
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)