Aug 30, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
Tommy Hanson was diagnosed with a small “undersurface” rotator tear of his rotator cuff last Friday, but the news was more slightly more encouraging following a visit to Dr. James Andrews yesterday.
Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Hanson was told by Andrews that he is dealing with regular wear and tear in his shoulder. The young right-hander was cleared to resume his rehab and could begin some light throwing within the next few days.
“Andrews said there are a lot of guys that are way worse off than me,” said Hanson, who was told by Braves orthopedic surgeon Xavier Duralde that 75 percent of pitchers have something similar. “Just hearing it’s normal wear and tear (that) just for whatever reason got inflamed definitely gives me some peace of mind and I’m a lot happier after seeing (Andrews) than I was over the weekend.”
Hanson will have to avoid any setbacks, but Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez is “optimistic” that he could be ready to pitch again within a couple weeks. It’s possible Hanson could return in a bullpen role, but if all goes well during the month of September, he would likely join Jair Jurrjens, Tim Hudson and Brandon Beachy in the projected postseason rotation.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead