Aug 30, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
I don’t have a definitive answer to that, but Michael Arace of my hometown Columbus Dispatch says that it’s Mike Sarbaugh, manager of the Indians AAA team, the Columbus Clippers:
In eight seasons since Sarbaugh started managing, his teams have made the playoffs every year save one … Sarbaugh has won championships in the New York-Penn, Carolina, Eastern and International leagues … It is almost as if you can give Sarbaugh nine lawn chairs and they will contend.
Obviously winning in the minor leagues is a different deal than it is in the majors. Especially at AAA, where the team can be used as either a talent repository or a holding cell for AAAA players or both, depending on the whim of the organization. But you gotta measure it somehow, and winning is not a bad starting point. Columbus has a 13-game lead in their division.
The only thing giving me pause: the last time a Clippers manager was touted as the next big major league managing prospect it was … Trey Hillman.
But at the very least you can get to know Mr. Sarbaugh if you aren’t already acquainted.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)