Aug 30, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
I don’t have a definitive answer to that, but Michael Arace of my hometown Columbus Dispatch says that it’s Mike Sarbaugh, manager of the Indians AAA team, the Columbus Clippers:
In eight seasons since Sarbaugh started managing, his teams have made the playoffs every year save one … Sarbaugh has won championships in the New York-Penn, Carolina, Eastern and International leagues … It is almost as if you can give Sarbaugh nine lawn chairs and they will contend.
Obviously winning in the minor leagues is a different deal than it is in the majors. Especially at AAA, where the team can be used as either a talent repository or a holding cell for AAAA players or both, depending on the whim of the organization. But you gotta measure it somehow, and winning is not a bad starting point. Columbus has a 13-game lead in their division.
The only thing giving me pause: the last time a Clippers manager was touted as the next big major league managing prospect it was … Trey Hillman.
But at the very least you can get to know Mr. Sarbaugh if you aren’t already acquainted.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)