Aug 31, 2011, 5:46 PM EST
Beltre hasn’t played since mid-July, but was on the verge of returning on August 9 when he aggravated the injury while testing his hamstring running the bases.
He took some time off, restarted the rehab process, and has played two games at Triple-A without any problems.
Beltre, who’s in the first season of a five-year, $80 million contract, hit .276 with 20 homers and an .823 OPS in 100 games before the injury. Michael Young has been filling in for him at third base, but will move back into the designated hitter spot assuming Beltre isn’t limited defensively.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)