Aug 31, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
Beltre hasn’t played since mid-July, but was on the verge of returning on August 9 when he aggravated the injury while testing his hamstring running the bases.
He took some time off, restarted the rehab process, and has played two games at Triple-A without any problems.
Beltre, who’s in the first season of a five-year, $80 million contract, hit .276 with 20 homers and an .823 OPS in 100 games before the injury. Michael Young has been filling in for him at third base, but will move back into the designated hitter spot assuming Beltre isn’t limited defensively.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 84
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (145)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (119)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)