Aug 31, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
Beltre hasn’t played since mid-July, but was on the verge of returning on August 9 when he aggravated the injury while testing his hamstring running the bases.
He took some time off, restarted the rehab process, and has played two games at Triple-A without any problems.
Beltre, who’s in the first season of a five-year, $80 million contract, hit .276 with 20 homers and an .823 OPS in 100 games before the injury. Michael Young has been filling in for him at third base, but will move back into the designated hitter spot assuming Beltre isn’t limited defensively.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)