Aug 31, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
Beltre hasn’t played since mid-July, but was on the verge of returning on August 9 when he aggravated the injury while testing his hamstring running the bases.
He took some time off, restarted the rehab process, and has played two games at Triple-A without any problems.
Beltre, who’s in the first season of a five-year, $80 million contract, hit .276 with 20 homers and an .823 OPS in 100 games before the injury. Michael Young has been filling in for him at third base, but will move back into the designated hitter spot assuming Beltre isn’t limited defensively.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)