Baseball 101 for Phemale Phillies Phans

Aug 31, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT

CBP

ESPN’s Amanda Rykoff went down to Citizens Bank Park last week to check out the “Baseball 101″ program the Phillies have put on for female fans the past several years.  As she reports, it’s kind of a misnomer, because the program is not about educating allegedly uninitiated women about the basics of baseball.  No, it’s much cooler and respectful of their phanatical phans:

This day is an opportunity for the passionate, knowledgeable female fans who make up nearly half of the Phillies’ fan base to experience an all-access, behind-the-scenes look at the team they follow so loyally, with some female bonding and a lot of fun along the way. There are no rudimentary explanations of balls and strikes, double plays or RBI. Not a single pink hat or T-shirt was spotted among the 147 participants.

These women know their WHIP and their OPS. And they love the game of baseball as much as they love their team.

Baserunning clinics put on by Juan Samuel. Bullpen sessions with Rich Dubee. Very cool stuff that I’m guessing most of us, male or female, would love to do if given the opportunity.

Good reading. Check it out.

UPDATE: Chris F.’s first comment made me ashamed of myself. I’m sorry I failed everyone by not baiting Phillies fans here.  Let me make amends:  I do have one question about the Baseball 101 program, however: who do they have teaching the clinic about irrationally thinking that Ryan Howard is an MVP-caliber hitter? That has to be part of the bill, right?

Ahhhhh. That’s better.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Wow! This may be Craig’s first Phillie-related post without a single snarky remark about the team, the city or the fans. Congrats Craig…you broke your cherry!!!!

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Check the update. Thanks for the reminder, Chris! ;-)

• vintage1496 - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:13 AM

*Cough* inferiority complex *cough*

• FC - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Come on dude just because Craig baits Phillies fans DOES NOT mean he has an inferiority complex ;)

2. djdvd - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:12 AM

We should all appreciate the reminder Chris gave I think he helped avoid the apocalypse.

3. halladaysbiceps - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM

“who do they have teaching the clinic about irrationally thinking that Ryan Howard is an MVP-caliber hitter?”

Answer: Sean Forman, from baseball-reference.com

4. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Baserunning clinics put on by Juan Samuel. Bullpen sessions with Rich Dubee. Heckling sessions with Sal from South Philly. Displaying your displeasure with sign language by Joey from the Northeast.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Proper flashing lessons from that chick who was going to sell herself for football tickets?

5. Jonny 5 - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Phew!! That was a close one… Thanks Chris.

6. heyblueyoustink - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:26 AM

One more homer away from 6 straight seasons of 30 home runs and 100 RBI? Man, I wish I had that kind of luck!

Maybe I need to procure a Ryan Howard’s foot.

• kopy - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:40 AM

If you beat cleanup in the Phillies’ lineup with a .251/.339/.489 slash then yes, luckily there will be enough runners on base for you to knock in 100 RBI.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I know, and to have it happen 6 years straight!?! Whoooeee! I wonder which voodoo master he went to in order to make such a miracle of luck a reality.

Who needs Falcor when you have this guy?

• kopy - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I guess that voodoo master would be the Phillies’ GM. He would be the man responsible for letting Ryan Howard bat in the Phillies’ lineup.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:59 AM

RAJ is a ninja, not a vodoo master. And Gillick the grey seems more like a humble wizard to me.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 31, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Why do you guys keep bringing that up like it’s an amazing accomplishment? He’s not even half way to the record of consecutive years with 30/100. Arod has 13, Pujols is working on his 11th, Tex has 8, vlad did it 8/9 years in a row, prince 4/5, jim thome 9/11…

Is it a nice accomplishment? Yes. But the way you are trumpeting it, it’s as if no one has more than 3 in a row.

7. Jonny 5 - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:27 AM

This is what is expected from our Phemale Phills fans.

• bloodysock - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Or this:

• Jonny 5 - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM

What passion!!!!

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Ah, that’s what I meant to post above.

Damn fleeting memory.

8. bloodysock - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Who teaches how to properly throw batteries and still boo JD Drew after 14 years (yeah, I’m baiting, I know).

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM

That’s not a learned trait. It’s a gift from God.

• kellyb9 - Aug 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Oh come on… get over it.. its not like we threw D batteries, they were only AA.

• snowbirdgothic - Aug 31, 2011 at 11:18 AM

To be fair, a couple of guys did lug car batteries up to the 700 level.

9. spudchukar - Aug 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I’m pretty sure a Phemale Phillie is redundant.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM

True that. It’s common knowledge that all Phillies have vaginas.

10. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Women who love baseball are loved by me without exception. Except one exception, that is, women who love baseball and root for the Phillies can all go f@ck themselves. I mean this in the rudest way possible.

11. spidermyer - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Haters gonna hate…see as Phillies fans, we dont care about your baiting and general inferiority complex. Our team has given us years of unquestionable pride and good times. How’s the view from outside of 1st place?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

we dont care about your baiting and general inferiority complex.

You must be new here. There are dozens of articles from multiple Phillies fans complaining about people saying anything non-positive about the team. Maybe people would stop writing them if you guys weren’t so sensitive?

12. eagles512 - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM

The Howard joke is old, with McNabb gone, he’s by far the most overly criticized player in the city. As a Philly fan, I don’t mind occasional swipes because we do possess some annoying fans, but at least do it correctly.

13. macjacmccoy - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Yea I will say there are a ton of female Phillies fans that are nuts about the team. Heck 1 of my childhood girlfriend was the one that got me into watching baseball. I was always a fan, went the games and such, but I didnt really start watching the games at home on a daily bases until I started going out with here.

All the trade deadline news to know