Aug 31, 2011, 5:36 PM EDT
I tweeted this randomly a few minutes ago and got some good responses, so I figured I’d throw it out to the whole crowd:
I tire of the argument that goes like this: “Player X should get consideration for Honor Y!”
It could be the Hall of Fame. It could be a postseason award like the MVP or Cy Young. Doesn’t matter. But the argument usually comes in response to me (or someone) saying that a different player should be in or should win.
So I respond: OK, do you think your Player X should win or should get in? And here’s where it kills me: ”No, but he should get consideration!”
What does that mean? I mean, yes, I understand that there are downballot votes and that they matter for certain purposes, but if I’ve said I think Jose Bautista is the MVP, should I “consider” another guy? In reaching my decision isn’t it understood that I’ve considered and rejected the other guys? Same with the Hall of Fame: Jack Morris should be considered! Should he be in? “No, but …” Then I guess he’s not worthy of any more consideration is, he?
Yes, this is rather navel-gazey, but I get annoyed at the ____ should be considered stuff. Am I the only one? Am I being a jerk? Am I just simply getting this all wrong? None of those things are mutually-exclusive, of course.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (113)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (97)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along