Aug 31, 2011, 12:15 AM EDT
According to KGO-TV in San Francisco, Robin O’Connor, a former payroll manager with the Giants, was arrested on federal charges associated with embezzling more than $1.5 million from player accounts.
O’Connor, who worked in the Giants’ front office for four years, received an annual salary of $80,000. An FBI affidavit says the 41-year-old mother-of-two embezzled $1,513,836.28 from the Giants’ payroll between June 2010 and June 2011. She was formally charged with wire fraud and fraud in connection with a computer.
The scheme blew up when O’Connor applied for a loan from Bank of America to buy a home in San Diego. She allegedly forged a letter from the Giants’ HR manager, explaining that the large deposits in her account were due to her “outstanding contributions … that assisted us in accomplishing our goal of winning the 2010 World Series.” That’s right. Who needs the likes of Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Buster Posey, Juan Uribe, Cody Ross, Edgar Renteria and Brian Wilson when you have O’Connor? She was clearly the key to their title run. Anyway, when Bank of America sent a letter back to the Giants for confirmation, she was toast.
O’Connor has been released on $500,000 bond and is scheduled for arraignment in a month. While it’s too bad that some of the players were the victims in this featherbrained scheme, she may have saved Brian Sabean from spending $1.5 million on yet another ancient shortstop. Perspective, people.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 44
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)