Aug 31, 2011, 12:15 AM EDT
According to KGO-TV in San Francisco, Robin O’Connor, a former payroll manager with the Giants, was arrested on federal charges associated with embezzling more than $1.5 million from player accounts.
O’Connor, who worked in the Giants’ front office for four years, received an annual salary of $80,000. An FBI affidavit says the 41-year-old mother-of-two embezzled $1,513,836.28 from the Giants’ payroll between June 2010 and June 2011. She was formally charged with wire fraud and fraud in connection with a computer.
The scheme blew up when O’Connor applied for a loan from Bank of America to buy a home in San Diego. She allegedly forged a letter from the Giants’ HR manager, explaining that the large deposits in her account were due to her “outstanding contributions … that assisted us in accomplishing our goal of winning the 2010 World Series.” That’s right. Who needs the likes of Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Buster Posey, Juan Uribe, Cody Ross, Edgar Renteria and Brian Wilson when you have O’Connor? She was clearly the key to their title run. Anyway, when Bank of America sent a letter back to the Giants for confirmation, she was toast.
O’Connor has been released on $500,000 bond and is scheduled for arraignment in a month. While it’s too bad that some of the players were the victims in this featherbrained scheme, she may have saved Brian Sabean from spending $1.5 million on yet another ancient shortstop. Perspective, people.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)