Franco, Piazza to take part in Mets September 11th remembrance

Aug 31, 2011, 4:30 PM EST

Franco FDNY

The Mets — and particularly New York native John Franco and first-game-back home run hitter Mike Piazza — played an instrumental role in ushering baseball back into action following the 9/11 attacks. It should not be surprising, then, that the Mets have called back Franco and catcher Mike Piazza to take part in the team’s remembrance of 9/11.  Franco will throw out the first pitch with Piazza behind the dish.

In addition, Mets players will wear caps representing New York police, the fire department and other uniformed officers and first responders during the September 11th game, just as the 2001 team did.

The Mets get a lot of stuff wrong. They’ve rarely gone wrong when it comes to this kind of thing, however.  Nice to see them doing good stuff like this.

1. SmackSaw - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:34 PM

It could also be a remembrance of when the Mets were good.

2. gnyj85 - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Greatest sports moment of my life when Piazza hit the homerun in the 8th to go ahead of the Braves. I get chills every time I watch that game.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I get diarrhea and nausea (I call it the double-ender).

• dondada10 - Aug 31, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Same here, man. 9/11 hit me and my family hard. I’m a die-hard Mets fan and listening to Bob Murphy’s call of that homer still gives me chills.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Not to change the subject, but does anyone know what gogigantos is on today b/c I want some!

Also, again sorry for the subject change, but were you all aware the the Philadelphia Phillies suck really bad and their future is murky at best?

4. gnyj85 - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

And can someone tell me why John Franco did not even get consideration for hall of fame with 424 saves, a 2.89 ERA, and over 20 seasons in the MLB!? Not necessarily in, but at the very least put him on the next ballot..

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Not speaking to his qualifications or lack thereof, but it seems the hall is really hesitant to let any closers in. Took Gossage years, Lee Smith isn’t in and his numbers are similar to Franco’s, and people have been iffy about Hoffman as well.

5. jimbo1949 - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:31 PM

How come the Mets get to wear those hats and the Nats weren’t allowed to wear the armed forces hats a couple weeks ago?

6. theonlynolan - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Great move by the Mets. Hard to believe we are coming up on 10 years since these terrible attacks. Certainly doesn’t seem like it.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5313)