Aug 31, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Yesterday the Giants lost for the 21st time in 31 games, falling six games behind the Diamondbacks in the NL West, and today the front office had a mini-house cleaning by designating veterans Miguel Tejada and Aaron Rowand for assignment.
Tejada was signed to a one-year, $6 million contract to take over as the Giants’ starting shortstop despite all kinds of evidence that he couldn’t handle the position defensively at age 37.
He was quickly moved to third base and then the bench, hitting just .239 with four homers and a .596 OPS in 91 games. And the final straw may have been the former MVP’s public complaints about being asked to lay down a sacrifice bunt earlier this week.
Rowand still has another season remaining on a five-year, $60 million contract, so the Giants will be paying him $12 million in 2012 whether he’s still on the roster or not. Rowand got that deal following a career-year in 2007, but has hit just .253 with a .704 OPS in 509 games since then and had started just 16 games since the All-Star break. It’s possible the Giants will be able to find a taker for Rowand if they eat all of that salary.
That the moves come one day before rosters expand from 25 to 40 is awfully telling. Pat Burrell was called up from the minors to fill one of the roster spots along with Triple-A first baseman Brett Pill.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)