Aug 31, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Yesterday the Giants lost for the 21st time in 31 games, falling six games behind the Diamondbacks in the NL West, and today the front office had a mini-house cleaning by designating veterans Miguel Tejada and Aaron Rowand for assignment.
Tejada was signed to a one-year, $6 million contract to take over as the Giants’ starting shortstop despite all kinds of evidence that he couldn’t handle the position defensively at age 37.
He was quickly moved to third base and then the bench, hitting just .239 with four homers and a .596 OPS in 91 games. And the final straw may have been the former MVP’s public complaints about being asked to lay down a sacrifice bunt earlier this week.
Rowand still has another season remaining on a five-year, $60 million contract, so the Giants will be paying him $12 million in 2012 whether he’s still on the roster or not. Rowand got that deal following a career-year in 2007, but has hit just .253 with a .704 OPS in 509 games since then and had started just 16 games since the All-Star break. It’s possible the Giants will be able to find a taker for Rowand if they eat all of that salary.
That the moves come one day before rosters expand from 25 to 40 is awfully telling. Pat Burrell was called up from the minors to fill one of the roster spots along with Triple-A first baseman Brett Pill.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)