Aug 31, 2011, 9:42 AM EDT
I’m not quite sure where Bruce Jenkins of the San Francisco Chronicle is going here. He starts off strong with an amusing compare and contrast between a softball home-run-hitting exhibition which took place before last night’s Cubs-Giants game and the feckless Giants’ bats.
But then he got into some commentary about Giants fans and their seeming obliviousness to the bad baseball with which they have recently been presented and which is sinking the Giants’ playoff chances like a stone:
On any given night, your favorite Giant goes 0-for-4 against a team long dismissed from relevance. And every night, without fail, the park is filled with enthusiastic patrons, still wrapped in the comfort of last year’s world championship and getting only mildly upset with the proceedings.
I think Jenkins is OK with the show of loyalty — he favorably compares Giants fans to “Boston or Philadelphia, where the folks would be hurling insults, obscenities and Double-A batteries,” but there seems to be a bit of an exasperated “wake up you idiots!” tone to this.
I guess it just goes back to the never-resolvable argument about whether “good fans” continue to come out and cheer for a team going sideways or, rather, if they make the team pay for its incompetence at the turnstile.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)