Aug 31, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Potentially frightening/hilarious news in Andy Martino’s latest Daily News column. The Mets are thinking — not seriously thinking, I don’t believe, but at least kicking around the idea — of turning Jason Bay into a center fielder:
Imperfect circumstances call for creative solutions, and in recent weeks the Mets have kicked around many ideas for 2012. In that spirit, a well-placed front office source said it is “a possibility” that the Mets will move Jason Bay to center field next year. That remains far from likely, the source said …
We already know that Murphy is a disaster wherever he’s placed. Bay is a good enough left fielder, but I can’t see any planet on which he’d have the wheels to handle the big Citi Field outfield. In sum, it would seem to be the absolute worst thing for a team that plays in a big pitchers’ park in which good outfield defense would seem to be the key to everything.
It’s just brainstorming, of course, and the worst thing you can do in a brainstorming session is hold back ideas because you think they’re silly. But yeah, this is one that probably doesn’t make it past the big white board.
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 49
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)