Jesus Montero to be called up tomorrow

Aug 31, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT

Jesus Montero

Of course it’s the first day that rosters expand so it’s not like it’s some monumental decision.  But at least he’s finally up.  So much sturm und drang to get here too.  Ultimately, though, it really doesn’t matter I suppose, as I can’t really see how the Yankees would have been substantially better off with him or that they were substantially worse off without him. If those things are different anyway. Not sure.

Anyway, Montero has improved as the summer has gone on, and he has been particularly hot in August, hitting eight home runs with a .974 OPS.  He should find a decent amount of playing time at DH down the stretch.

1. Kevin S. - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Yanks DHs this year have hit .243/.328/.425. I’m not sure how hard it is to imagine Montero having improved on that.

2. yankeesfanlen - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Don’t use that picture! He looks Grumpy too.
    Give me the true happys, Martin and Cervelli (oh wait, Cervelli is TOO happy)

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:15 PM

If you told me Montero could have a career with the Yankees that was 90% of what Posada did through the years, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat! And he can be as grumpy as he wants along the way.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:29 PM

this x1000 please

3. Matt D. - Aug 31, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Ok, maybe someone can help me out with this. If the Yankees call Montero up tomorrow, would he be eligible for the playoff roster? As I understood the rules, he would have to be on the 25-man roster by today in order to be eligible, but the things I’ve been reading today seem to agree that he can still make the playoff roster if he’s called up tomorrow. Does this have something to do with that whole replacing an injured player rule, or is there some other reason he’s eligible?

It’s not really important, but it got me curious.

• phukyouk - Aug 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I heard something similar and am equally curious.

Craig – any information on this?

• Kevin S. - Aug 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM

There’s an exception if a player who was on the twenty-five man roster before the deadline is on the DL. I’m not sure of the exact mechanics, but somehow Ramiro Pena being hurt allows Jesus Montero to be post season eligible.

• phukyouk - Aug 31, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I knew that Pena would come in handy one day!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Any players on the DL can be swapped by a player in the minors regardless of whether they [the replacements] are on the 40 man or not. This is what the Angels did with Krod in ’02.

• Matt D. - Sep 1, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

4. paperlions - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I don’t think a player has to be on the 25-man by any deadline to be eligible for the playoffs, just in the organization (on the 40-man). There have been plenty of guys that were in the minors all year and then played in Sept and the playoffs (K-Rod being the most “famous” of them).

5. southofheaven81 - Aug 31, 2011 at 6:05 PM

What about Jorge Vasquez? He’s hit 32 homers in Scranton this season. Why does he never get any love?

• Kevin S. - Aug 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Because he’s twenty-nine years old and only has a .315 OBP as a AAA repeater?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2790)