Aug 31, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Jose Canseco manages the independent league Yuma Scorpions and one of his players is former big leaguer and speedy center fielder Joey Gathright.
So naturally Canseco broke the news via Twitter that Gathright has left the Scorpions to sign a minor-league deal with the Red Sox:
I’m not so sure about the Fenway in October part, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe confirms that the Red Sox signed Gathright and will send him to Pawtucket for now. If they want a pinch-runner for the playoffs, Canseco could be right.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona