Aug 31, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Jose Canseco manages the independent league Yuma Scorpions and one of his players is former big leaguer and speedy center fielder Joey Gathright.
So naturally Canseco broke the news via Twitter that Gathright has left the Scorpions to sign a minor-league deal with the Red Sox:
I’m not so sure about the Fenway in October part, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe confirms that the Red Sox signed Gathright and will send him to Pawtucket for now. If they want a pinch-runner for the playoffs, Canseco could be right.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)