Aug 31, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner is doing his best to keep the Giants in the race.
He allowed two hits and matched his career high with 11 strikeouts over eight innings in a 4-0 victory over the Cubs on Wednesday. It was just his ninth win of the season, but the Giants did improve to 9-4 in his last 13 starts.
Bumgarner himself is 9-12 with a 3.43 ERA. That’s because the Giants have scored a total of 88 runs in his 28 starts, an average of 3.14 per game. It’s low even by their standards: they’re averaging 3.43 runs per game when he doesn’t start.
But Bumgarner is coming into his own. He’s up to 157 strikeouts in 173 1/3 innings for the season. He’s 11th in the NL in K/9 IP, sixth in HR/9 IP and 7th with a 3.83 K/BB ratio, all at the tender age of 22.
Bumgarner doesn’t fare quite so well in the ERA rankings, in part because he had maybe the worst start by any major leaguer this season: eight earned runs and nine hits in one-third of an inning against the Twins back on June 21. But he’s had 13 starts in which he’s allowed one or no earned runs.
It seems obvious that he’ll have to keep it up if the Giants are going to have any chance of overtaking the Diamondbacks in the NL West. Fortunately, he’s looking like the game’s youngest stopper at the moment.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)