Aug 31, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner is doing his best to keep the Giants in the race.
He allowed two hits and matched his career high with 11 strikeouts over eight innings in a 4-0 victory over the Cubs on Wednesday. It was just his ninth win of the season, but the Giants did improve to 9-4 in his last 13 starts.
Bumgarner himself is 9-12 with a 3.43 ERA. That’s because the Giants have scored a total of 88 runs in his 28 starts, an average of 3.14 per game. It’s low even by their standards: they’re averaging 3.43 runs per game when he doesn’t start.
But Bumgarner is coming into his own. He’s up to 157 strikeouts in 173 1/3 innings for the season. He’s 11th in the NL in K/9 IP, sixth in HR/9 IP and 7th with a 3.83 K/BB ratio, all at the tender age of 22.
Bumgarner doesn’t fare quite so well in the ERA rankings, in part because he had maybe the worst start by any major leaguer this season: eight earned runs and nine hits in one-third of an inning against the Twins back on June 21. But he’s had 13 starts in which he’s allowed one or no earned runs.
It seems obvious that he’ll have to keep it up if the Giants are going to have any chance of overtaking the Diamondbacks in the NL West. Fortunately, he’s looking like the game’s youngest stopper at the moment.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)