Aug 31, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen’s relationship with general manager Ken Williams is reportedly worse than ever and he’s already talking about leaving Chicago if a contract extension isn’t offered, but at least one White Sox player is just fine with Guillen’s consistent headline-making ways.
Here’s more from Buehrle, who’s been managed by Guillen since 2004:
Look what he has done here. He’s won a World Series here with them, he’s made the playoffs a few times with them. I think a lot of stuff I keep on hearing and people are talking about is just his act. Some of the stuff he says and does, is it kind of getting old? From Day 1, I know myself, I can’t speak for anybody else, I think it’s entertaining. I love listening to stuff. I love when drama happens. I love seeing how it’s going to play out. A lot of stuff, I don’t pay attention. It just sort of goes in one ear and out the other. I don’t make a big deal of it, I don’t look too deep into it. I just kind of enjoy seeing how it plays out and go from there.
As a Twins fan I’m conditioned to hate all things White Sox, but as a writer who likes good quotes and interesting personalities Guillen is obviously gold. I can certainly understand how Guillen might be tough to deal with at times, particularly for the GM, but in general White Sox players seem to like playing for him and the team has recovered from a disappointing start to likely finish above .500 for the sixth time in his eight seasons.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)