Aug 31, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen’s relationship with general manager Ken Williams is reportedly worse than ever and he’s already talking about leaving Chicago if a contract extension isn’t offered, but at least one White Sox player is just fine with Guillen’s consistent headline-making ways.
Here’s more from Buehrle, who’s been managed by Guillen since 2004:
Look what he has done here. He’s won a World Series here with them, he’s made the playoffs a few times with them. I think a lot of stuff I keep on hearing and people are talking about is just his act. Some of the stuff he says and does, is it kind of getting old? From Day 1, I know myself, I can’t speak for anybody else, I think it’s entertaining. I love listening to stuff. I love when drama happens. I love seeing how it’s going to play out. A lot of stuff, I don’t pay attention. It just sort of goes in one ear and out the other. I don’t make a big deal of it, I don’t look too deep into it. I just kind of enjoy seeing how it plays out and go from there.
As a Twins fan I’m conditioned to hate all things White Sox, but as a writer who likes good quotes and interesting personalities Guillen is obviously gold. I can certainly understand how Guillen might be tough to deal with at times, particularly for the GM, but in general White Sox players seem to like playing for him and the team has recovered from a disappointing start to likely finish above .500 for the sixth time in his eight seasons.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 15
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)