Aug 31, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen’s relationship with general manager Ken Williams is reportedly worse than ever and he’s already talking about leaving Chicago if a contract extension isn’t offered, but at least one White Sox player is just fine with Guillen’s consistent headline-making ways.
Here’s more from Buehrle, who’s been managed by Guillen since 2004:
Look what he has done here. He’s won a World Series here with them, he’s made the playoffs a few times with them. I think a lot of stuff I keep on hearing and people are talking about is just his act. Some of the stuff he says and does, is it kind of getting old? From Day 1, I know myself, I can’t speak for anybody else, I think it’s entertaining. I love listening to stuff. I love when drama happens. I love seeing how it’s going to play out. A lot of stuff, I don’t pay attention. It just sort of goes in one ear and out the other. I don’t make a big deal of it, I don’t look too deep into it. I just kind of enjoy seeing how it plays out and go from there.
As a Twins fan I’m conditioned to hate all things White Sox, but as a writer who likes good quotes and interesting personalities Guillen is obviously gold. I can certainly understand how Guillen might be tough to deal with at times, particularly for the GM, but in general White Sox players seem to like playing for him and the team has recovered from a disappointing start to likely finish above .500 for the sixth time in his eight seasons.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)