Aug 31, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen’s relationship with general manager Ken Williams is reportedly worse than ever and he’s already talking about leaving Chicago if a contract extension isn’t offered, but at least one White Sox player is just fine with Guillen’s consistent headline-making ways.
Here’s more from Buehrle, who’s been managed by Guillen since 2004:
Look what he has done here. He’s won a World Series here with them, he’s made the playoffs a few times with them. I think a lot of stuff I keep on hearing and people are talking about is just his act. Some of the stuff he says and does, is it kind of getting old? From Day 1, I know myself, I can’t speak for anybody else, I think it’s entertaining. I love listening to stuff. I love when drama happens. I love seeing how it’s going to play out. A lot of stuff, I don’t pay attention. It just sort of goes in one ear and out the other. I don’t make a big deal of it, I don’t look too deep into it. I just kind of enjoy seeing how it plays out and go from there.
As a Twins fan I’m conditioned to hate all things White Sox, but as a writer who likes good quotes and interesting personalities Guillen is obviously gold. I can certainly understand how Guillen might be tough to deal with at times, particularly for the GM, but in general White Sox players seem to like playing for him and the team has recovered from a disappointing start to likely finish above .500 for the sixth time in his eight seasons.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)