Mark Buehrle enjoys the “drama” surrounding Ozzie Guillen

Aug 31, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT

Tyler Flowers, Ozzie Guillen, Mark Buehrle

Ozzie Guillen’s relationship with general manager Ken Williams is reportedly worse than ever and he’s already talking about leaving Chicago if a contract extension isn’t offered, but at least one White Sox player is just fine with Guillen’s consistent headline-making ways.

During an interview with ESPN-1100 in Chicago today Mark Buehrle explained that Guillen “is entertaining” and a lot of the manager-fueled drama “just sort of goes in one ear and out the other.”

Here’s more from Buehrle, who’s been managed by Guillen since 2004:

Look what he has done here. He’s won a World Series here with them, he’s made the playoffs a few times with them. I think a lot of stuff I keep on hearing and people are talking about is just his act. Some of the stuff he says and does, is it kind of getting old? From Day 1, I know myself, I can’t speak for anybody else, I think it’s entertaining. I love listening to stuff. I love when drama happens. I love seeing how it’s going to play out. A lot of stuff, I don’t pay attention. It just sort of goes in one ear and out the other. I don’t make a big deal of it, I don’t look too deep into it. I just kind of enjoy seeing how it plays out and go from there.

As a Twins fan I’m conditioned to hate all things White Sox, but as a writer who likes good quotes and interesting personalities Guillen is obviously gold. I can certainly understand how Guillen might be tough to deal with at times, particularly for the GM, but in general White Sox players seem to like playing for him and the team has recovered from a disappointing start to likely finish above .500 for the sixth time in his eight seasons.

1. Old Gator - Aug 31, 2011 at 2:35 PM

The main differences between “gold” as a precious metal and “gold” in the form of Slobbering Ozzie’s mindless rants are that real gold has a consistent and identifiable atomic structure and is very rare, whereas Ozzie’s expectorations are incoherent and frequently incomprehensible, and gutter level common. If Ozzie weren’t managing the Sox, his blitherings wouldn’t be worth the air molecules whose vibrations carry them to the ears of waiting sportswriters.

However, Buehrle is certainly right that Ozzie has done all sorts of good things for the White Sox and they damned well owe it to him to extend his contract, one would hope indefinitely.

• FC - Aug 31, 2011 at 2:39 PM

You’re only saying that because you don’t want to see him in Macondo.

• cur68 - Aug 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Beat me to it FC. If Ozzie does become the manager of the Feesh (an occurrence I’ve chosen to call “The Big Movement” for the term’s verisimilitude to other sorts of “movements”) then not only will Gator’s anecdotes increase in frequency, their very pith will also increase in quality and erudition. That’s a win for us all.

Likely also will be the phenomenal friction that will soon occur between Loria & his offspring and Oz & his offspring. Weather changing friction. Epic friction. The kind that will see the sports writers of this blog simply orgiastic with joy. It’ll be the sort of thing that’ll get us through a long winter of no baseball in fine style if The Big Movement happens not long after the WS.

We can then have a winter long debate on who’s worse a la cake vs. pie. In a long winter of no baseball it’s really all we have to count on. As such I, for 1, am praying to my Halladay Bobble Head, in his guise as Jobu, that The Big Movement happens. Praying hard.

• FC - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Cur, it would have a higher probability of happening if your Halladay Bobble head were a Phillies one instead of Jays one :D

• cur68 - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM

NEVER! Big Roy will always be a Blue Jay! ALWAYS!!!!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3548)