Aug 31, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
The desire to add a left-handed bench bat for the playoffs led the Phillies to sign and quickly release Jack Cust and now they’ve acquired John Bowker from the Pirates for a player to be named later or cash considerations, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.
Bowker has been at Triple-A for most of this season, hitting .306 with 15 homers and an .830 OPS in 106 games, but the 27-year-old corner outfielder/first baseman has played 228 games in the majors for the Giants and Pirates while hitting just .237 with a .679 OPS.
That includes a .248 batting average and .718 OPS versus right-handed pitching and even at 27 his solid minor-league track record suggests Bowker is capable of more if given another extended opportunity. He won’t get that down the stretch in Philadelphia because his role would be mostly pinch-hitting, but Bowker is a solid low-cost pickup.
And because he’s expected to join the roster today, Bowker will be eligible for the playoffs.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)