Aug 31, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Matt Diaz, who played for the Braves from 2006 to 2010 before being non-tendered this offseason, is back in Atlanta for the stretch run.
Diaz signed a two-year, $4.25 million deal with Pittsburgh as a free agent, but he hit just .253 with zero homers and a .627 OPS in 100 games and the Pirates were happy to unload his $2 million contract for 2012 (along with some cash to cover part of the salary) in exchange for a player to be named later.
Diaz was also ineffective last year, but in the four previous seasons he batted .316 with an .829 OPS in 427 games and at minimum he’s a solid platoon option versus left-handed pitching.
And he brings some added value as a crazy fan wrangler.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)