Aug 31, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Not satisfied with adding Mike Adams and Koji Uehara to the bullpen at the July 31 trade deadline the Rangers have pulled off another deal for a veteran reliever, acquiring Michael Gonzalez from the Orioles for a player to be named later.
Gonzalez had a brutal April, but the 33-year-old left-hander recovered to throw 41 innings with a 3.07 ERA and 42/14 K/BB ratio in his last 42 outings.
Texas has completely rebuilt the bullpen in front of closer Neftali Feliz, with a deep and potentially dominant setup corps of Adams and Uehara from the right side and Gonzalez and Darren Oliver (2.29 ERA in 44 innings) from the left side. And they also have Mark Lowe and Yoshinori Tateyama, who would both be working high-leverage innings for a lot of other teams.
In a lesser move, Texas also reacquired catcher Matt Treanor from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash. He’ll join the roster as a third catcher along with Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 10
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires