Aug 31, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
Not satisfied with adding Mike Adams and Koji Uehara to the bullpen at the July 31 trade deadline the Rangers have pulled off another deal for a veteran reliever, acquiring Michael Gonzalez from the Orioles for a player to be named later.
Gonzalez had a brutal April, but the 33-year-old left-hander recovered to throw 41 innings with a 3.07 ERA and 42/14 K/BB ratio in his last 42 outings.
Texas has completely rebuilt the bullpen in front of closer Neftali Feliz, with a deep and potentially dominant setup corps of Adams and Uehara from the right side and Gonzalez and Darren Oliver (2.29 ERA in 44 innings) from the left side. And they also have Mark Lowe and Yoshinori Tateyama, who would both be working high-leverage innings for a lot of other teams.
In a lesser move, Texas also reacquired catcher Matt Treanor from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash. He’ll join the roster as a third catcher along with Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 58
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)