Aug 31, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
Remember last week how the Mayor of St. Petereburg was reported to have some mysterious plan to save the Rays and keep them in town? It was all rather strange, actually, with the mayor playing it close to the vest as if he was guarding the schematics of nuclear warheads or something. I was excited!
Well, so much for that. Today, in an editorial, he has released his plan. The short version: “we’re gonna make sure the Rays honor their lease and, if they don’t, we’re gonna make someone reimburse us for it. If they do stay, though, we’re gonna help ‘em advertise!” It was filled out with hundreds of empty politician words about “strategic partners” and cooperation between the public-private sectors and blah, blah, blah that stuff is so weightless it ought to be bottled and used to fill balloons at a used car lot.
There’s no plan there. There’s a politician telling voters that he’s not going to give up several million bucks on the next 16 years of the Rays’ lease on Tropicana Field and a lot of rah-rah, it-won’t-be-so-bad rebop.
If I’m the Rays I start doing everything I can to trick the city into defaulting on its obligations under the lease somehow, skip town and then hope I can win the ensuing litigation. Cynical? Sure. But it’s a better thought-out plan than the Mayor of St. Petersburg just trotted out.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)