The Netherlands wants to host a major league game or two

Aug 31, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Netherlands

Did you know you can walk into a ballpark in Amsterdam and buy a beer? And I don’t mean just like in no paper cup, I’m talking about a glass of beer.  Which is a good thing if, as this translated-from-Dutch article is saying what I think it’s saying, the Netherlands wants to host some actual major league baseball games in 2014. Like, ones that count in the standings. And for that you’d totally need to have beer.

If this actually happens we’ll hear a lot of things about how much of a logistical nightmare it is. But really, if you do it with two east coast teams and give them days off on either side of the trip, I can’t imagine that it would be leaps and bounds worse than a west coast swing, can you?

Grow the game, babies. And make sure you have drug tests on either side of any trip to Amsterdam.

(link via BTF)

1. bennoj - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Who is this ‘Mister Baseball’ they spoke to and is he a viable candidate to replace Bud?

2. nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I’ve heard worse ideas than playing a few games in Holland, but I wouldn’t worry about the drug tests. The substance Amsterdam is known for is cannabis, which I don’t think anyone would consider a performance enhancing drug, except perhaps for jazz or rock musicians. If the teams start racking up the errors or we see them with big bags of Doritos instead of sunflower seeds, no test will be needed.

• backstop5 - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

THG is on the Wada-list, so yeah, better lay of the joints….

• Kevin S. - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I’m pretty sure baseball doesn’t use the WADA lists. If they’ve given in to those fascists, I think another piece of me will have just died inside.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 31, 2011 at 7:29 PM

If it’s THG you’re worried about, then I guess you won’t mind all the THC oozing out of my pores.

3. Lukehart80 - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM

What do they call a Whopper?

• 18thstreet - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Who is giving thumbs down to this? I gave it a thumbs up just to protest the thumbs down.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 31, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Anyone who hasn’t seen the movie is my guess

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM

p.s. I didn’t go in the Burger King

4. SmackSaw - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Players complain about flying to Seattle. When they start the season in Japan, players complain about being tired. The MLBPA won’t allow this to happen.

• antlerclaws - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM

How about the players man up. It’s not like they’re being asked to go to a war zone.

• paperlions - Aug 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM

If everybody gets paid, everybody will support this idea. Baseball is a business first (owners) and second (players), the competition is a distant third.

5. sumerduckman - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Sounds like a great idea, Phillies vs Nats. They can hand out little placards that say Citizens Bank Park East.

• FC - Aug 31, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hey! Citizens Bank Park Europe!

6. qcubed3 - Aug 31, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Just think of how well Dock Ellis could have pitched over there . . .

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 31, 2011 at 7:48 PM

The story is that Ellis pitched his no-hitter while on LSD, not pot, which are extremely different substances, or so I’m told. And Amsterdam is known for pot cafes, not acid.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I would say it’s known (or at least was) for any drug you can imagine

7. cktai - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Please ignore that research has consistently shown that marijuana and hard drug use for both lifetime as last-year prevalence has been higher then the States then it has been in the Netherlands for at least the last 20 years.

Oh you already have? Good.

8. cktai - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:39 AM

I first heard about this story last time I played against the Hoofddorp Pioniers (not their first team, their fifth teams.) They were planning a stadium with 400 permanent seats (no I haven’t been missing zeros on that) with a possibility to add 30k temporary seats. This would be similar to the setup in Haarlem (2.5k permanent + 3.5k temporary) and Rotterdam (2.5k permanent + 4k temporary) during their international tournaments.

9. nicosamuelson2 - Sep 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Denny Neagle would’ve loved this.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3281)