Aug 31, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski had started 28 of 32 games behind the plate for the White Sox when he fractured his wrist on August 12, but it sounds like he’ll be a part-time player once he returns from the disabled list.
Tyler Flowers has impressed while filling in for Pierzynski and manager Ozzie Guillen told Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago that the 25-year-old rookie will continue to play regularly down the stretch regardless of Pierzynski’s health status:
Tyler has been great; very good. When A.J. gets here, we figure out how we play him. I don’t want to say A.J. is not playing, but we really like, I really like, the way Tyler is behind the plate right now.
They’d form a natural platoon because Flowers bats right-handed and Pierzynski bats left-handed, but it certainly seems as though Guillen intends to play Flowers more often than that role would allow. And while Flowers is atop the White Sox’s long-term catching depth chart, the fact that the 34-year-old Pierzynski is signed for next season at $6 million complicates the situation as well.
Pierzynski is currently rehabbing in the minors and could rejoin the White Sox as soon as this weekend.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)