Sep 1, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
Wainwright, who underwent Tommy John surgery last February, has been limited primarily to flat-ground workouts since beginning a throwing program in late June. The few times he’s been allowed to step atop a mound, he’s thrown to a standing catcher.
Wainwright accompanied the Cardinals to Milwaukee this week and watched as the active members of the St. Louis roster picked up a crucial sweep. He’s still talking about potentially returning in October if the Cardinals are able to secure a postseason spot, but acknowledged Thursday to Leach and Co. that it’s more of a motivational tactic than an actual goal.
“Realistically the only way to get in a game is if we were to go deep in the playoffs,” Wainwright said. “And I think realistically the chances of that happening — not that we go deep in the playoffs, but the chances of them placing me in a game if we do — are very, very, very, very, very, very small. But my work is drastically improved with the thought that I’m working for something.”
Wainwright should be back near 100 percent when spring training opens next February. The Cardinals have already hinted that they’re going to exercise his $9 million option for 2012 and $12 million option for 2013.
A 30-year-old right-hander, Wainwright has posted a 2.97 ERA through the first 874 1/3 innings of his career.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 38
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 23
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)