Sep 1, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
Wainwright, who underwent Tommy John surgery last February, has been limited primarily to flat-ground workouts since beginning a throwing program in late June. The few times he’s been allowed to step atop a mound, he’s thrown to a standing catcher.
Wainwright accompanied the Cardinals to Milwaukee this week and watched as the active members of the St. Louis roster picked up a crucial sweep. He’s still talking about potentially returning in October if the Cardinals are able to secure a postseason spot, but acknowledged Thursday to Leach and Co. that it’s more of a motivational tactic than an actual goal.
“Realistically the only way to get in a game is if we were to go deep in the playoffs,” Wainwright said. “And I think realistically the chances of that happening — not that we go deep in the playoffs, but the chances of them placing me in a game if we do — are very, very, very, very, very, very small. But my work is drastically improved with the thought that I’m working for something.”
Wainwright should be back near 100 percent when spring training opens next February. The Cardinals have already hinted that they’re going to exercise his $9 million option for 2012 and $12 million option for 2013.
A 30-year-old right-hander, Wainwright has posted a 2.97 ERA through the first 874 1/3 innings of his career.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)