Sep 1, 2011, 10:35 PM EST
Wainwright, who underwent Tommy John surgery last February, has been limited primarily to flat-ground workouts since beginning a throwing program in late June. The few times he’s been allowed to step atop a mound, he’s thrown to a standing catcher.
Wainwright accompanied the Cardinals to Milwaukee this week and watched as the active members of the St. Louis roster picked up a crucial sweep. He’s still talking about potentially returning in October if the Cardinals are able to secure a postseason spot, but acknowledged Thursday to Leach and Co. that it’s more of a motivational tactic than an actual goal.
“Realistically the only way to get in a game is if we were to go deep in the playoffs,” Wainwright said. “And I think realistically the chances of that happening — not that we go deep in the playoffs, but the chances of them placing me in a game if we do — are very, very, very, very, very, very small. But my work is drastically improved with the thought that I’m working for something.”
Wainwright should be back near 100 percent when spring training opens next February. The Cardinals have already hinted that they’re going to exercise his $9 million option for 2012 and $12 million option for 2013.
A 30-year-old right-hander, Wainwright has posted a 2.97 ERA through the first 874 1/3 innings of his career.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)