Sep 1, 2011, 4:57 PM EST
A ten game lead is a big freakin’ lead this time of the year. Even if the Cardinals were to sweep the Brewers in the present series and do so again when they meet in St. Louis next week, Milwaukee would still have a pretty good lead in the division.
But ya gotta start somewhere, right?
It’s still going on — indeed, it’s only in the third inning — but right now the Cardinals lead the Brewers 6-0 in the concluding game of their three-game series in Milwaukee. Albert Pujols has hit two home runs in his first two at bats, one of which was a moon shot out to where Bernie Brewer’s slide is, the second a grand slam.
I’m still skeptical that the Cards have the giddyup to catch the Brewers. But sometimes things happen that make you hmmmmmm.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)