Brett Lawrie in record territory since August callup

Sep 1, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT

Brett Lawrie Getty Images

Brett Lawrie broke a tie with a two-run homer in the top of the eighth as the Blue Jays bested the Orioles 8-6 on Thursday.

It was Lawrie’s fourth homer during his current nine-game hitting streak and seventh in 26 games since his callup.  He’s also knocked in 21 runs, but perhaps his most impressive stat so far is that he has 17 extra-base hits already (four triples, six doubles).  Since 1960, that’s tied for the most of any player in his first 26 career games:

1. George Scott (1966): 17
1. Mitchell Page (1977): 17
1. Albert Pujols (2001): 17
1. Jeff Francoeur (2005): 17
1. Chris Davis (2008): 17
1. Chris Dickerson (2008): 17
1. Brett Lawrie (2011): 17
8. Alvin Davis (1984): 16
8. Stephen Drew (2006): 16
8. Brennan Boesch (2010): 16

Ryan Braun, Carlos Gonzalez and Carlos Santana are among those that had 15.

Lawrie is hitting .340, and he’s also gone 4-for-4 stealing bases.  His big-league attitude may rub some people the wrong way, but so far, he’s definitely walking the walk.

1. cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Are you all prepared to show some loyalty to your new Brett Lawrie Overlords? 100% pure Beaver Wrestling muscles power the boy, so don’t even think of offering resistance.

2. bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM

On one end of the spectrum you have Albert Pujols.

On the other end you have Chris Dickerson and Chris Davis.

I guess its interesting, but the wide variation of the players in this “exclusive” company suggests that it’s much ado about nothing to this point.

(That said Lawrie has been a wonderful late season infusion of offense to one of my Fantasy teams . . . so I hope he continues to tear it up!)

• paperlions - Sep 2, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Wait a second. Are you saying that results during a small sample size may not be indicative of skill level? Blasphemy.

I love the arbitrary nature of the thing, and I realize that Lawrie has only played in 26 games, but it is still funny to read the word “record” associated with most XBH in a players first 26 games.

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Now if he could just put a little of that effort into not being a giant douche…..

• SmackSaw - Sep 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM

A douche that can hit.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM

1943: confession time. When I was 21 there were hundreds of incidents where I could be found being a much bigger douche as Brett Lawrie. Easily. I didn’t even have the excuse of being a hot MLB prospect. It was known as “being a young adult”.

Since I’ve been watching the kid, he’s been an enthusiastic player, plays hard, hustles and is gracious during interviews. He seems to be a pretty typical healthy kid who happens to be a pro athlete. I bet there are dozens of pictures of any player you care to name that look not dissimilar to the ones of Lawrie you’ve linked when they were in minor league ball. I bet the one of him with the beer taped to his hand was his 21st birthday. Legal drinking age in the States. You should see some of mine when I turned 18, legal age in Canada. Lawrie @ 21 is a chipmunk cheeked rascal compared to me @ 18. Just ask the cops round here.

So, until he starts acting like Clemens or Dykstra I’m going to reserve judgement on the kid’s character, because, frankly, my house is made of pretty brittle glass. I suspect a good number of people’s lives could be described similarly at the age of 21.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 2, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Side note, those pictures are not dated on his birthday. And if there are “dozens of pictures of any player you care to name that look not dissimilar to the ones of Lawrie” I would say those players are a bit douchy too. You can be a good player on the field and a bit of a douche off the field, but I’m sure he’ll grow up now that he’s made it

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Truth be told, when working with the douche’s, you resent them. It’s only human. And I had run-ins with two major league douche bags, and was witness to several others. The fact is athletic alpha males are often prima donnas. They are coddled and worshipped by adults much older than them and repeatedly told they are the best around. They are chased by the hottest chicks in high school and college, then have ready and willing groupies waiting outside the clubhouse doors, in the front offices (interns) and in the form of MILFS in heat waiting for them at their host family residence (in the minors).

Its really hard for most of these guys to be socially integrated, humble, regular guys like the rest of us schmoes. And for baseball fans, that’s a good thing.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 1, 2011 at 11:35 PM

That was supposed to be a joke, I just find those pictures hilarious (but no, I have not done anything similar to those pics, I pride myself on not having done anything that douchy). cur68, you need to calm yourself man. I’m a Jays fan too and I have no problem with what Lawrie does off the field as long as he is helping the Jays on the field

4. proudlycanadian - Sep 1, 2011 at 7:40 PM

He plays hard. He has worked hard to improve. He listens to his coaches. He learns from his coaches. He team mates seem to like him. He has confidence in himself that is completely justified. The Brewers completely mishandled him much to our delight. Thank you Brewers for screwing up and for leaking misinformation to your fans in order to justify your mistakes.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM

The Jays knew the kid quite well from their involvemrnt in Baseball Canada. They also know his family. Both Lawrie and his sister (softball pitcher) played for Canada in the Olympics. Toronto planned to draft Lawrie, unfortunately, the Brewers took him with the pick just before theirs. AA did not forget him and when he saw a chance to get him, he pounced. He gave up a good starting pitcher in order to obtain Lawrie. He would have not traded for Lawrie, if he thought that he was not a good person.

5. sasquash20 - Sep 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Kid might be a stud, but Marcum is right now more important. If the Brewers have any chance at getting to the WS it would be with Marcum over Lawrie. Marcum is a very good number 2 starter. On many teams he could be the ace.

6. proudlycanadian - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM

A fair comment sasquash20. The Brewers side of the trade was designed to try to give them a shot at the World series before Fielder departs as a free agent. Long term, I expect that Lawrie will have a better career than Fielder. As far as Matthew’s comparison is concerned, it only measures extra base hits. Lawrie has been strong in all categories. He has bplayed a great 3rd base once he got over the initial jitters. Johnny Mac and the coaches gave him some instructions. He incorporated the information into his game and has been fundamentally stong at third.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline