Sep 1, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Blake had been playing regularly since returning from his third disabled list stint of the season on July 30, hitting .274 with four doubles in 19 games, but called the pinched nerve in his neck “pretty serious” and has apparently continued to have discomfort.
Blake is in the final season of a three-year, $17.5 million contract and the Dodgers will choose a $1.25 million buyout rather than their $6 million option for 2012, making him a free agent. The only question now is whether he’ll call it quits or attempt a comeback at age 38 on a one-year deal.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)