Sep 1, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Blake had been playing regularly since returning from his third disabled list stint of the season on July 30, hitting .274 with four doubles in 19 games, but called the pinched nerve in his neck “pretty serious” and has apparently continued to have discomfort.
Blake is in the final season of a three-year, $17.5 million contract and the Dodgers will choose a $1.25 million buyout rather than their $6 million option for 2012, making him a free agent. The only question now is whether he’ll call it quits or attempt a comeback at age 38 on a one-year deal.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)