Comment of the Day: Why are there so many Phillies fans around here?

Sep 1, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT

Phillies fans AP

Obviously the Phillies content around here has been nuts lately. It’s been driven, of course, by the fact that so many Phillies fans have migrated here in the past few months.  They’re active. They shoot me links or give me ideas for posts in their comments. And of course, knowing who’s reading, I’m more likely — quality of the content being equal — to link to something Phillies-related than I may be to link to something Rockies-related, for example.  Gotta serve the customers.

But why are they here?  What do they want? Sure, we’ve formed some rudimentary basis of communication with these hordes, but it’s mostly just the bare minimum required for us to communicate. “I like  post.” “I no like post.” “Cliff Lee sexy.”  “Ryan Howard good.” “You biased hater jealous of stuff that happened 30 years ago and you use that to heap scorn upon us.”  That sort of thing.

But Jonny 5 — a Phillies reader who has been around these parts long before the recent infestation — has a theory.  And it’s not a bad one:

I have a theory of why so many Phillies fans have ventured to HBT daily, like moths to a porch light. They need to be kicked around. Plain and simple. For generations, fans of Philly sports teams have been brutalized by the masses (rightfully so). We had to agree with the sucktitude of  Philly sports. There was never a doubt. But now, now that Baseball, football, and Hockey in the city have made an about face they still need to get their abuse. Which comes aplenty here. It’s all just a theory though. An abuse syndrome of sorts…

It’s boring to agree with everyone about how good your team is.  Some people can become addicted to a certain kind of friction, however. It used to come naturally from Philly sports outlets because there was so much to complain about. Now it’s all sunshine.

So if what I think Jonny is saying is true, I’m indispensable to you cheesesteak eaters.  Deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me to give you hell. You need me to give you hell.  You need me to help keep you miserable in the way you have become accustomed.

Right?

1. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Craig, the only question is why you don’t wake up every day and thank the good Lord that there are so many Phillies fans around here. Where would you be without us?

• spudchukar - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Happy.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM

In his chair pantsless, making the same amount of money.

• CJ - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:42 PM

So basically, there wouldn’t be much difference.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

That’s what I was hinting at, yes.

• bdawk20 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:46 AM

Typically, bloggers are paid a portion of their revenue, NBC affiliation aside, from Pageviews. So, he would not be making the same amount of money, however, pantsless in a chair* sounds about right.

(*With a magnifying glass to find it)

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:48 AM

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM

“I am not paid based on pageviews. They obviously want a lot of them because that’s a good thing for us, but my compensation is not tied to it.”

Yea, and Brian Williams compensation is not tied to viewership

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of financial freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I’d prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a Phillies cap and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn where you think compensation comes from!

Whadda ya think? Was that too much?

2. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM

P.S. Jack Nicholson you ain’t!

3. catsmeat - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Why do they flock here? Phillies fans just want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want Craig writing that post about Ryan Howard’s inevitable and painful decline. You need Craig writing that post about how the Braves have a shot at taking the NLCS in a brutal 7-game slog.

Alternatively, Craig Calcaterra may just be the City of Philadelphia’s greatest troll.

4. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I am here because I like to talk baseball and this site has some of the best commenters and bloggers around. Plain and simple. I was unaware that such a quality forum even existed for quite some time and when I found it, I signed right up.

• hittfamily - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Hit it on the head. That doesn’t explain why so many Philly are here, but that certainly explains why I am here. Posters here are smart. I have a baseball mind, but lose virtually every argument I get into on this board. Then the next topic comes up, and maybe I get a chance to redeem myself.

5. Jonny 5 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM

It hurts sooo good.

Either that or we’re just not that smart to begin with.

Go Howadr !!!!

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Hilarious. Let me just add “Go Howadr or Go Hoem!”

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Did you see Howadr’s bomb 10 rows deep in straight-away centerfield today? Mr. Lucyk got all of that one.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

LMAO! I did not see that bobm. I’m workign.

• nategearhart - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Yeah, but his futuer is so muryk.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Like I said in my actual response to J5′s post…I come here because people respond. I hate most other sites, where people will troll up for a half an hour, say something, and then never debate the issue. At least here, I can get a 2 hour debate on whether Braun shouldn’t be smiling and laughing(he shouldn’t), why some writer, who is also a Royals fan, randomly decided to write that the Phillies future is “murky at best”(he’s jealous and harbors hate from the 1980 World Series), and why Ryan Howard is Mr. Lucky and Hunter Pence is Mr. Overrated(because they ARE!!!).

7. yankeesgameday - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Enjoy it for now Craig, because with that murky phillie future on tge hirizon that audience will dry up someday an you’ll be left with me, len and gator talking yankees/marlins

8. 18thstreet - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Speaking as a Red Sox fan, me like post.

9. spudchukar - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

HBT should be renamed Phillies Phacebook.

• kopy - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I thought we all agreed that HBT stood for HalladaysBicepts Talk

• halladaysbiceps - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I’ll promise you this. It will no longer be HalladaysBicepts Talk. I’m scaling back for now on. I said it before that I just wanted to talk about the games, but kept on getting veered off with this baiting and taking it personally as a Phillies fan. I’m no longer being duped into it. It’s not a good time any longer. It’s feels like getting a tooth extracted without any pain killer.

• bdawk20 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:48 AM

If you say you are going to do it, it takes away the luster. Just do it!

10. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM

If this site had an edit function it would be perfect.

11. Austin Swafford - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM

They think they need to come to message boards to get kicked around? Well…I guess it is cheaper than going to a Sixers game.

• CJ - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM

It’s pretty much a push. They were literally giving tix away late in each of the last two season and still couldn’t “sell” out.

12. stoutfiles - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM

There are equal amounts of all fans on this site. The Philly fans are just the most vocal because, um, nothing better to do I guess? Love to live vicariously through a sports team?

Whatever answer you come up with is going to be a sad one though. If you are mailing links to Craig with your spare time then you need to step back and think your life over. Baseball just went from a fun hobby to a sad obsession.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Or a way for some otherwise intelligent people to act like kids, have some fun, take the piss out of one another about something that isn’t all that important and generally have a good time. The one thing about finding a site like this that really appeals to me (a non-Philly Phan) is the chance to talk shit with some smart people who, by and large, don’t take themselves so seriously. Real life is serous enough without casting aspersions on our entertainment as being “sad”.

No drugs, no alcohol, no mayhem involved in us messing around on HBT. What, we should be like grown ups and only have these sorts of conversations 2 or 3 times a month, if we’re lucky to know enough people like you find on HBT? ‘Scuse us all for wanting to have a laugh. Be sure and get a refund on your way out.

• chap6869 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Amen Cur68

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I think Craig should have an annual “HBT Commenter’s Ball” and we can all get together and have a few beers. Of course, he would probably want to have it in Columbus, and after I left Dayton School of Law I promised myself I would never set foot in the State of Ohio again and it has worked out just fine for me the last 18 years.

• phillyphreak - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM

No alcohol? Blasphemy!

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:52 PM

re. “HBT Commenter’s Ball”: I’d never go. Too worried Craig would still be without pants (I’d want an Iron Clad Guarantee he’d put on his pants), and what if Gator didn’t look like Ernst Stavro Blofeld holding a cat like in You Only Live Twice? Would totally ruin my image of the man. However if Tiffany went I might reconsider.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Are you a lawyer, Chris? If you are I didn’t see that coming.

• kopy - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Ernst Stavro, eh? This is my mental image of OG. Correct stadium and all:

• kopy - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:59 PM

P.S. PhillyPhreak I believe you have to say it’s “Blasfemy!”

• FC - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:04 PM

No worries, I’m sure he’ll wear the Braves Bathrobe. I’m pretty sure he keeps it in a capsule similar to how Bruce Wayne does his batsuit.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM

FC: this immediately brings to mind Tiffany in a “Robin” get up. Holy Pants, Batman…

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM

kopy – you’re not far off.
        cur- we’re afraid you’d bring your moose.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Len: True, the moose would have to come, but keep in mind its a mighty beaver wrestling moose. And I never go anywhere without it.

• The Rabbit - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM

@cur68
        re. “HBT Commenter’s Ball”: The obvious place to hold it is centrally located KC where ballpark tickets are cheap, flights from most places are direct, and the music and barbecue are great.
        I could even provide housing for you, Len, Jonny, and a few other denizens after the event if you like being surrounded by lakes, rivers, and forests. Could be fun, eh?

• natstowngreg - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM

A picture of someone taking the phrase “fans disguised as seats” literally. And where better to do it than in Miami?

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Hell, I’d do that in a second Rabbit and thanks. Now all we have to do is get the Royals into contention so there’d be some actual relevant ball games to go to involving a Royals squad playing in front of decent sized crowd.

• The Rabbit - Sep 1, 2011 at 5:26 PM

@cur
        If the Royals become relevant, the tickets won’t be as cheap. According to today’s e-mail, there’s a $4 ticket deal at Kauffman.
        When Len was in Myrtle Beach, I figured he could fly to KC and get field box seats for the entire Yankees/Royals series. The complete cost including the plane fare would be less than a seat for one game at Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately, we didn’t think about this before he had booked his flights and hotel in MB.
        The deals aren’t quite as good for the Cardinals but lots of reduced prices there, too. $45 gets you great seats and all you can eat (buffet) and drink in one of the club boxes.

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Well said, cur68. I like this site because sometimes, even though I consider myself fairly intelligent, I have to Google obscure references to understand some of the posts (yeah, Old Gator, I’m talking about you). It challenges me. Also, as a baseball loving female working in a female dominated field (nursing) in a pathetic baseball town (Tampa Bay), I have precious little opportunity to talk baseball.

• micker716 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Is it that Phillie’s fans are “flocking” here? Or are other fans migrating elsewhere? Probably neither. Most of us just don’t feel the need to comment on every post regarding our favorite teams or players. Even more don’t feel the need to post multiple comments on the same post.

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I don’t think we know that this is true. A poll would help outline the demography, but it may be challenging to prevent people from voting multiple times.

• bdawk20 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:52 AM

I would put it on par with people who delve into stats with a crazy scope to make their point about a player being overrated.

If you want to discuss who is the best RBI person in the league and determine, by stats, that if they were someone else, they would have more RBI’s because of the opportunities they have had laid in front of them, then you would have to start looking into the ERA’s or WHIP’s of the pitcher’s they have faced vs. the comparative player (which they don’t because they only like stats that a stats website gives them, which is also a waste of time).

What I am getting at is that many people, non-Phillies fans and Phillies fans, have killed a fun hobby and made it a sad obsession for a variety of different reasons.

13. mike1chair - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

in 3 or 4 years, there is a good possibility the phillies will be really bad again!!!!

• chap6869 - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Or then again, with a 170 million dollar payroll at the disposal, maybe not!

14. hermitfool - Sep 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Most of the Phanatic posters know baseball and have interesting insights/comments. But the extended conversations between posters often become Junior High and beyond tedious. These parochial exchanges should take place on a web site devoted exclusively to all things Phillie.

• firedude7160 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM

At least we have those “parochial exchanges” in Phillies posts

• indaburg - Sep 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I agree, hermitfool. The conversations starts out interesting but then they just become pissing contests over who can get the last word in after repeating their points ad nauseum.

• bdawk20 - Sep 2, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Last word.

15. xmatt0926x - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I think people are looking too deep into this. Phillies were the Pirates and Royals for 20 years. They had about 1 flukey wiining season in 1993 and we had to obsess over that team for over a decade because it was the only taste of winning baseball for a generation. a new stadium gets built and get this, the ownership who always said they would increase payroll when their revenues went up did just that!! Now the team is very good to great and fans that suffered for years are reveling in it. does anyone think the Mets fans or any poor teams fans won’t swarm this site when they turn it around? I love how fans of other teams like to talk about how once the Phillies fall back to earth then Phillies fans will go away. Yeah, thats called himan nature and the fact that this is a post about the large amount of philly fans as opposed to other teams fans shows that the other teams fans are sitting this out until their team gets better. How much are you going to talk about if you have a sub-.500 team with a bunch of .230 hitters and 5+ era pitchers? Ohh..and the fans of other teams on here that revel in any anti-phillies article are just as lame as the Phillies fans who obsess too much and send Craig twitter garbage and links to every Phillies related item out on the web.

16. icet7 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Y U HEFF TO H8?

Haha. Seriously, though. I come to HBT to read up on what’s going on around the league, not read about how good pitchers pitch well against the Phillies or bad pitchers pitch horribly against the Phillies. I don’t come here to read about a song that the Phillies played before I was even born. It’s annoying.

Instead of just admitting that the Phillies are currently a superpower, people who write for HBT would rather bring up shit from the past, or talk about how they dumped a lot of talent into other organizations in order to have the current club they have now.

But let me guess, when the postseason comes along, and the Phillies are in the postseason AGAIN this season, what are you going to write about? My guess is you’re going to rag on Philly fans. You’re going to bring up the kid who got tazed, you’re going to bring up booing Santa, you’re going to bring up the douche who barfed on some girl.

It gets old. It gets really fucking old.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Hang on a ‘mo. By and large it the commenters not the bloggers that bring that stuff ^^^ up (like you just did, in fact). I can only really recall one or 2 posts where one of the bloggers mentioned the Santa thing and I do believe they made some comment about how this was not the norm or some other such disclaimer in favor of Philadelphia. Perhaps some other commenter can remember the specifics?

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM

How is it that Cur is always the voice of reason?

• icet7 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM

No bloggers on here brought up the Santa thing. That’s just my guess for them to bring it up during the postseason when they can’t rag on us for a song that came out in the seventies or whatever saying “Phillies fever.”

What I’m saying is that bloggers on here won’t admit that this is one of the, if not, the best team in baseball right now. They’d rather bring up everything that’s negative about the team.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

doc: that’s cause I wear my pants all the time. Except for when the time comes for no pants. Then I’m so unreasonable women faint at the sight.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM

cur- I can’t decide if I should give that thumbs up or down. On one hand it’s hilarious….but on the other it’s disgusting. Aww hell, it’s more funny than gross.

• FC - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM

icet7 You do realize Craig (self-avowed Braves fan who will never desert his team on the pain of death) picked the Phillies to win it all back in March?

• ditto65 - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Have you seen Craig’s power rankings this year, icet7? How long you been comming around?

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM

You seem pretty upset :(, that makes me sad friend.

On a more serious note, as a Braves fan I read these comments with interest because it seems as if there’s a tinge of an inferiority complex in some of these comments. Don’t worry, your team is good, you don’t need to defend so vigorously.

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM

As an addendum, I think that passion for one’s team is a good thing. I feel where it becomes a liability is when people take some legitimate criticisms of their team/organization (a few of the salient points in the article linked here recently, not that I agreed with all of them) and take it as a personal attack. It’s okay to admit things are wrong/not perfect with one’s team. It doesn’t make you (or them) any less important.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Good to see there’s a couple of us out here. Two draft horses, if you will, lost in a herd of jackasses.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Moose. Its a moose, not a jackass. Can’t you see the antlers?

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Your right. Everyone on here is a hater that is jealous. We all just have to find reasons to bag on the Phillies and their phans.

• jamaicanjasta - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Ice, there’s not room for debate/conversation if we all sit in a circle saying that the Phillies are the best team in the league and NOT mention their weaknesses. Every other contender in the league has be examined in the same manner, because that’s what analysis is about. I know that it’s somewhat silly for me to say this, but objectively (and we all know that being a fan is terribly subjective) there are flaws to all the teams that will make the playoffs.

I see stories about my team (the Braves) all the time that mention these and I try to glean what salient points I can and hope the organization sees them as well.

• Bill - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Insecurity about past derision is to Phillies fans as smugness is to Yankees fans. Two different ways of expressing the same belief: “The world revolves around my team, and you’re just jealous.”

• yankeesfanlen - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Someone call me?

17. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM

It’s simple: there are no good Phillies’ sites. This is superior to all of them. By a lot. Seriously, they all suck moosetaint.

• phillyphreak - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Crashburn Alley is a really good Phillies site.

And you can’t get better baseball discussion than on Philly.com (ok I can’t even think that with a straight face).

• philsgamer - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

IMO, Crashburn Alley is too SABR-centric, but that is what has gotten Bill Baer where he is today. Just not my thing,

• drunkenhooliganism - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM

You guys are right about crashburn alley. It’s a good site. but too often I see one of those graphy things, and I realize I should stop reading and spend time with my family or go back to work.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM

What’s your problem with moosetaint?

• drunkenhooliganism - Sep 2, 2011 at 1:26 AM

It’s gamy.

18. Marty - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I’m here to twist the knife when Philly fans are dealt another double pronged shocker this season.

Further laughs will ensue if it happens to be the D-Backs. But any NL team will do.

19. philsgamer - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM

The reason I started frequenting HBT is because of my constant need for anything baseball related. A baseball junkie if you will. The quality of the information and the sheer amount of blog volume is what has kept me coming back for more for quite a while now.

I think the major sticking point for me is the happy medium between “hard” baseball reporting and “off-the-beaten-track” type of stuff. I sometimes find myself falling into Craig’s mental traps but am usually able to catch myself before I start sounding like an enraged Phillies fan.

20. bennoj - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Pie

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Is gross.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM

And Cake is Delicious.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:05 PM

You guys went too far. Say what you want about the Phillies, but never ever talk about pie being gross, unless it’s cowpie. Get it? Pie is clearly the more superior treat. Cake has a poor OFP (on face percentage) compared to pie.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Ice cream is better.

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Can’t do this with no pie:

Don’t worry. Its safe for work. Relatively. Ice cream, would, of course, make this better.

• bennoj - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Convoluted Logic 101:

My mother makes great pie, therefore your saying pie is gross is an insult to my mother.

In an earlier thread, Craig said that he could get a bigger rise out of Phillies Phans by criticizing Ryan Howard than by insulting their mothers. You obviously read this as well and wanted to criticize Ryan Howard but instead took the safer road of insulting my mother.

Therefore, when you say pie is gross, you are really saying Ryan Howard is an overpaid, underperforming hack.

QED

• cur68 - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Well since I’m a Blue Jay’s fan, I see no problem with your logic unless you consider the amount of wrath you are about to draw upon yourself for 1) supporting Pie and 2) calling the man all of Philadelphia loves “an overpaid, underperforming hack”. Then that kind of logic seems pretty self destructive.

• bennoj - Sep 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM

But I didn’t. Those who criticize pie do.

• FC - Sep 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM

the man all of Philadelphia loves “an overpaid, underperforming hack”.

Actually I’m pretty sure at least half the fan base has a bone to pick with Howard.

• firedude7160 - Sep 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Cur- But you can’t do THIS with cake

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:50 PM

PIE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

21. chap6869 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM

And Ho-Hum, the Phils win again today to sweep the Reds.

22. thinman61 - Sep 1, 2011 at 3:59 PM

As a Sox fan I’m here to combat the blatant NL East bias. And to watch from the sidelines while Craig and the Philly phans take turns baiting each other. Good sport, that. :p

23. bleedgreen - Sep 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Maybe its not just here. Just about every away game for the Phil’s has at least 30% Philly fans in the stands. Theres actually a reason to like the phils and to talk about them. 10+ years ago there was no reason to talk about them just like theres not much reason to talk about the royals or the Astros right now.

• firedude7160 - Sep 2, 2011 at 12:11 AM

There’s plenty of reason to talk about the Astros. You can talk plenty about how surprisingly well a couple of their young guys are playing, despite having NO other talent around them

24. mgflolox - Sep 2, 2011 at 2:28 AM

I grew up in the East Bay (A’s, Raiders, Warriors territory). I think, like Philly, our teams have either been dominant or totally sucked. We rarely have mediocre, .500 teams. So when we’re good, we’re REALLY good. Therefore, we really have an appreciation and passion for our local sports heroes, because we know it doesn’t last forever. So we better enjoy it while we can.

25. cleverbob - Sep 2, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I found my way over here because PFT was getting extremely boring during the lockout.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3838)