Sep 1, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
Well, we weren’t expecting this. From out of the blue comes an offer — all cash — to Frank McCourt to sell the Dodgers. It’s for $1.2 billion, and it comes from a man named Bill Burke. Burke, who is the founder of the Los Angeles Marathon, is backed by “certain state-owned investment institutions of the People’s Republic of China” and other investors, Bill Shaikin reports. Which probably means that Burke is just the figurehead/American face of the deal.
According to my friend (and Los Angeles resident and native) Bob Timmermann, Burke is married to former Los Angeles County Superintendent Yvonne Brathwaite Burke. The Burkes remain big players in Democratic politics, Mr. Timmermann says. I would assume this means that he’s not just some crazy rich person looking for attention.
The deal is reportedly for everything, including the team, the ballpark and the surrounding real estate. McCourt has no comment and it’s unclear whether he’s open to selling.
But jeez, it’s not every day that someone offers you $1.2 billion in cash. Assuming it’s something Major League Baseball would be receptive to — and why would they not be? — how could McCourt turn this down given all of the financial challenges he currently faces?
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)