Sep 1, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
While we don’t normally post a ton about the health of ex-players, there is a lot of Gary Carter goodwill out there and, because Carter’s family has been so forthcoming on their website and with reporters, there is a lot of information. Feels weird to post about it all the time, but My feeling is that people love the guy and that love outweighs the voyeuristic qualities of all of this. If I’m wrong there, please, let me know. I’m not at my best when it comes to this stuff.
Anyway: Via ESPN New York, we learn that Carter was rushed to an emergency room on Tuesday after experiencing chest pain and shortness of breath. It was revealed he had blood clotting in his chest and his right leg, but there appeared to be no problems with his brain, which is where the tumors for which he is receiving treatment reside. He was treated for 24 hours and then sent home where he can treat the blood clots with injections.
Keep a thought in your head for The Kid. Or, if your’e so inclined, a prayer.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)