Sep 1, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
While we don’t normally post a ton about the health of ex-players, there is a lot of Gary Carter goodwill out there and, because Carter’s family has been so forthcoming on their website and with reporters, there is a lot of information. Feels weird to post about it all the time, but My feeling is that people love the guy and that love outweighs the voyeuristic qualities of all of this. If I’m wrong there, please, let me know. I’m not at my best when it comes to this stuff.
Anyway: Via ESPN New York, we learn that Carter was rushed to an emergency room on Tuesday after experiencing chest pain and shortness of breath. It was revealed he had blood clotting in his chest and his right leg, but there appeared to be no problems with his brain, which is where the tumors for which he is receiving treatment reside. He was treated for 24 hours and then sent home where he can treat the blood clots with injections.
Keep a thought in your head for The Kid. Or, if your’e so inclined, a prayer.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 46
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 75
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)