Sep 1, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
In the places I grew up the unions were strong but the strikes, when they happened, were somewhat out of sight of our day-to-day lives. I mean, regular folks don’t have to worry about crossing a picket line at a Chevy truck plant or a coal mine when they’re just trying to go about their day. Upshot: I was never quite sure of the politics of picket lines.
I know you shouldn’t cross them if you’re sympathetic to the cause. But is that in all instances? Like, if they’re picketing at the grocery store is it enough to give them the thumbs up and shop anyway? If not, do you go to the next nearest store? What if it’s a non-union shop? There’s probably somewhere I can read about the etiquette on all of this, but I just don’t know how it works in practice.
And maybe Keith Hernandez doesn’t either. According to Ben Maller at Yahoo!’s The Postgame, it seems that Mex ate at a New York restaurant where the workers were on strike. When he left, picketers gave him an earful. The best nugget: “Mark Teixeira is a better fielder.” It’s funnier because it’s not true.
Anyway, Hernandez didn’t much care for it. I hope he didn’t undermine the union cause.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)