Sep 1, 2011, 5:33 PM EST
In the places I grew up the unions were strong but the strikes, when they happened, were somewhat out of sight of our day-to-day lives. I mean, regular folks don’t have to worry about crossing a picket line at a Chevy truck plant or a coal mine when they’re just trying to go about their day. Upshot: I was never quite sure of the politics of picket lines.
I know you shouldn’t cross them if you’re sympathetic to the cause. But is that in all instances? Like, if they’re picketing at the grocery store is it enough to give them the thumbs up and shop anyway? If not, do you go to the next nearest store? What if it’s a non-union shop? There’s probably somewhere I can read about the etiquette on all of this, but I just don’t know how it works in practice.
And maybe Keith Hernandez doesn’t either. According to Ben Maller at Yahoo!’s The Postgame, it seems that Mex ate at a New York restaurant where the workers were on strike. When he left, picketers gave him an earful. The best nugget: “Mark Teixeira is a better fielder.” It’s funnier because it’s not true.
Anyway, Hernandez didn’t much care for it. I hope he didn’t undermine the union cause.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)